World Bank’s Water and Sanitation Program IT Consultant Job in Nairobi Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Jan 20, 2014
Water and Sanitation Program
IT Consultant (Nairobi Based)
75 – 100 days
The World Bank’s Water and Sanitation Program (www.wsp.org) is looking to hire a short-term consultant in support of an ongoing project to further develop and promote a customer-feedback software (MajiVoice).
A brief video that explains the software’s core functions is available online: http://youtu.be/X3bO6kOD4Fc
The consultant will have two core responsibilities: Firstly, to support the programming team with suggestions and direct programming work i.e. conceptualizing and writing software code.
Secondly, to act as a liaison and trainer for our government partner institution (i.e. brief and train officers, answer questions, identify institutional needs with respect to the software etc.).
Applicants should therefore combine programming knowledge with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The consultant will be physically based in one of our government partner institutions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The main responsibilities of the consultant are to:
- Brief and train officers of the government partner institution in the use of MajiVoice;
- Identify new functions needed by institutional users of the software;
- Design, develop and document system functionalities;
- Develop unit and system testing cases and related scripts, document test results;
- Work closely with system developers on various re-designs, development, documentation and testing activities;
- Ensure security policies are implemented in the software development lifecycle;
- Maintain various database related documents such as manuals and programmers handbooks including updating user manuals where necessary;
- Communicate regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security;
- Work closely with IT team, database programmers and developers;
- Analyze and develop statutory and analytical reports for various modules.
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor or Masters degree in Information Technology (IT) or related discipline such as Computer Science, or equivalent work experience
- At least two years of experience developing professional software, ideally web based applications.
- Ideally experience in a role conducting IT training.
Skills and Competencies
- Adequate and practical knowledge of Relational Database Technologies (MySQL, ORACLE, DB 2, Informix, Postgres, SQL Server) and practical experience in developing these
- Demonstrable knowledge of web-based applications. Experience in mobile applications development will be an advantage.
- Strong track record in performance management is vital (setting targets, monitoring delivery, planning)
- Able to write and speak well in concise and fluent English and Swahili
Required IT skills will be tested during the interview process.
Please send CVs & letter of interest before 27th January 2014 to: [email protected]