Wangari Maathai Institute Communications Manager Job in Nairobi Kenya – wPOWER Hub
University of Nairobi
Position title: Communications Manager
Background: The Green Belt Movement International (USA) has received a grant from the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Oceans & International Environmental & Scientific Affairs (OES) to support the creation and scaling up of the wPOWER Hub at the Wangari Maathai Institute for Peace & Environmental Studies (WMI) at the University of Nairobi.
The WMI wPOWER Hub will employ facilitation, technology support, data collection and reporting, as well as handle the myriad logistical and administrative details needed for the initiative to function smoothly.
Specialized trainings and wPOWER Africa and wPOWER India exchanges at the Hub will increase the business and technical capacity of women entrepreneurs related to clean energy technologies and solutions, including an understanding of linkages to climate change and reducing deforestation.
The Hub will empower women entrepreneurs from around the world by training on best practices on clean energy entrepreneurship, creating a platform for exchange visits with wPOWER international partners, and monitoring and evaluation of clean energy technologies in use within the network.
The Green Belt Movement (GBM) seeks a Communications Manager (CM) for the wPOWER Hub at the Wangari Maathai Institute for Peace & Environmental Studies (WMI) to be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
In order to achieve our long-term goals of taking concrete action to unlock women’s potential to combat climate change and increase energy access, and maximizing wPOWER sustainability, the CM will provide the following support, across the following four strategic program components: Development of the wPOWER Hub and Resource Center; Curriculum Development; Targeted training reviews, exchanges and partnership building on clean energy & entrepreneurship; and, Sustainability.
Strong candidates will have performed served in similar roles and have extensive experience with U.S. Government contracting rules, regulations, processes and procedures, preferably on clean energy technology projects in Kenya and/or Africa.
1. Production of communications materials:
- Oversee a communications calendar for timely production of materials, which include, but are not limited to blogs, social media and printed materials.
- Produce communications material for WMI
- Review the website on a regular basis and provide content development support and ensure website promotion on a regular basis.
- Ensure continued promotion of WPower through online tools such as social media.
- Prepare press releases in relation to key developments in the work of the Wpower Hub
- Organize media events such as press conferences, interviews of key staff and stakeholders for TV, newspapers, magazines, journals, etc.
- Selected articles and case studies
- Presentations and training modules
- Other external materials for public dissemination.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management, International Affairs or related field.
- Experience in the area of clean energy technologies and entrepreneurship will be an added advantage.
- Master’s degree preferred;
- At least 5 years of experience working in international development, with at least three years working in grants management;
- Extensive experience working with US Government grants including compliance with federal rules and regulations;
- Experience managing social media and web content;
- Strong computer skills, as well as strong written/oral communications skills;
- Proven success in navigating complex and high pressure operating environments.
- Ability to efficiently work in teams and coordinate between various stakeholders;
- Prior relevant work experience in Kenya or other African country preferred.
To apply, please send by COB February 6th, 2014 a short cover letter detailing interest and qualifications along with a CV to: [email protected]