UTZ Certified Kenya – Jobs in Nairobi
Posted: Jun 7, 2013
UTZ Certified Regional Representative for East Africa Job in Nairobi Kenya
Do you want to be involved in the international dynamics of sustainability, where ideals and pragmatism meet?
UTZ Certified is a label and program for sustainable farming worldwide. Our mission is to create a world where sustainable farming is the norm. Sustainable farming helps farmers, workers and their families to fulfil their ambitions and contributes to safeguard the world’s resources, now and in the future.
UTZ Certified is one of the largest programs for responsibly produced coffee, tea and cocoa in the world, working across all continents with leading brands and retailers, such as Sara Lee, Mars, Nestlé, Heinz, Ahold and IKEA.
UTZ Certified’s field support network, standards and certification services, and traceability system enable markets to reward good practices.
UTZ Certified is headquartered in Amsterdam and works closely with its partner network in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
UTZ Certified is looking for a:
Regional Representative for East Africa
(based in Nairobi)
UTZ Certified is looking for a representative who is able to coordinate the activities for the UTZ Certified program in Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia, Tanzania and other selected countries in the region.
The representative reports to UTZ Certified in The Netherlands.
UTZ Certified works together with major stakeholders from industry, government and civil society to achieve a more sustainable agricultural sector, with a strong focus on coffee.
This work will include the implementation and support to UTZ certification with UTZ colleagues, regional, international and local partners.
This position will require a dynamic person with good interpersonal skills who will ensure that UTZ Certified programs are well coordinated, implemented, and the necessary lobbying and representation in government, civil society and partners is effectively executed.
Recognizing the interests of all stakeholders the right candidate will be a pragmatic, strategic and an inspiring ambassador for the UTZ certified program.
She or he will have the following key specific responsibilities:
Promote the UTZ Certified program and related good practices
Maintaining a strong market linkage and support partners in the implementation of the UTZ Certified program
- liaison with local producer organisations, traders and service providers
- facilitate client visits, press trips, market events
- provide supply information, ensure the flow of field information to home base
Liaison with national governments, partner organizations and agricultural institutes
- Participate in a national and regional platform(s) for sustainable agriculture
Broaden the implementation capacity for UTZ certification in the field
- Providing master trainings
- Creation and maintenance of a network of trainers
- Create and distribution of relevant tools
Supporting the assurance system
- Monitoring and improving the quality of implementation and certification
- Ensuring workability of traceability in local context
- Support and collaborating with Certification bodies
Project development and implementation
- Contribution to international proposals & local fundraising
General strategic and operational planning and financial management
Guidance on priority themes for the region: e.g. farmer training, good agricultural practices
- Experience in the coffee supply chain is a must. Experience with tea and cocoa are an advantage.
- Experience in designing, supervising and evaluating strategies in an international (development) context
- Experience in training trainers
- Experience in agricultural certification schemes
- Strong knowledge of sustainability and rural development
- Credible ambassador, communicator, networker with intercultural skills and able to work with different types of stakeholders (e.g. producers, governments)
- Self-driving and strong initiator within a group
- Strong communication skills, oral and written
- Fluency in verbal and written English. French and/or any of the common languages in the region is an added advantage
- Master´s degree, preferably in relevant field such as agronomy, development economics, environmental science, or other related disciplines
- In possession of work permit and familiar working in the region
- Minimum 8 years of work experience, minimum 3 years in related field
- Willing to travel regularly in and out of the region
UTZ Certified provides a dynamic and international working environment with an entrepreneurial and innovative approach.
The position is based in Kenya (Nairobi) and involves regular travel.
Starting date of the assignment is foreseen as soon as possible.
This is your opportunity to create real value for a meaningful global sustainability initiative!
Please send your application to email@example.com before June 26 mentioning “Regional Representative for East Africa” in the subject line.
Interviews are foreseen in the first week of July 2013.
For more information about this position please contact Albertine De Lange or René Magermans (+31 20 530 8000).