United Nations Industrial Development Organisation
Post title: National Coordinator (Energy)
Duration: 12 months (with possibility for renewal upon good performance)
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
Background: UNIDO is the specialized agency of the United Nations based in Vienna.
The mandate of the UNIDO is to promote and accelerate sustainable industrial development in developing countries and economies in transition.
With this mandate, the Organization carries out two core functions: as a global forum, it generates and disseminates industry-related knowledge; as a technical cooperation agency, it provides technical support and implements projects.
The Energy and Climate Change Branch (PTC/ECC) is responsible for the promotion of access to energy for productive uses while at the same time supporting patterns of energy use by industry that mitigate climate change and are otherwise environmentally sustainable.
Working closely with the UNIDO Project Manager (PM) and the national counterparts, the incumbent will play a key role in ensuring that the UNIDO energy portfolio management is made successfully, timely and effectively in conformity with the UNIDO mandate.
- Very good understanding of energy issues in Kenya and the region.
- Experience of GEF and other donor funded projects development and implementation
- Familiarity with issues related to SE4All
- Thorough understanding of energy efficiency issues in industrial sector of Kenya
Minimum requirements for the position are:
- Advanced university degree in Engineering (electrical, mechanical, energy or environmental related) and/or other relevant discipline with specialization in Energy/Renewable energy and/or development issues;
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in technical cooperation in the field of energy especially renewable energy applications for on/off grid areas and industrial energy efficiency, including experience with UN agencies/NGOs/CBOs;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English for technical, policy and general audiences;
- Developed report writing and presentation skills.
- Fluency in English and Fluency and/or working knowledge of the local language Swahili is desirable.
Deadline for application:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications, including curriculum vitae, functional telephone numbers, email address, postal address and a one-page summary statement describing the relevance of candidates’ experience and qualification to the job as outlined above via email to: [email protected]
Attention: Project Manager
and deliver hard copies of the same in a sealed envelope addressed to:
UNIDO Field Office Kenya,
P.O. Box 41609,
United Nations Complex Gigiri,
Block Q, Room 118,
not later than Friday, 24 January, 2014.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted within one week from close of advertisement.