UNFPA Jobs in Kenya – Senior Communications Officer
Friday 24 May 2013
The Officer will proactively work with Programme Officers to raise awareness, increase the effectiveness and visibility of UNFPA work to stakeholders and the public.
- Support UNFPA Country Office (CO) to develop and coordinate internal communication systems so as to empower and keep staff up to date on priorities;
- Improve the understanding and visibility of UNFPA vision, mandate and priorities, to key stakeholders and the public.
- Consolidate and strengthen strategic partnerships and networks,
- Support advancing the implementation of the ICPD agenda within the context of CPAP and UNDAF,
- Produce user-friendly materials on key thematic areas and disseminate to the media, key stakeholders and the public;
- Maintain and update the website on regular basis with input from programme staff.
- Contribute to development and implementation of communications strategies focusing on UNFPA’s priorities in Kenya.
- Provide critical analysis and communication support to the Country Office through information gathering and reporting of the internal and external environment.
- Contribute to enhanced production and dissemination of communication and advocacy materials, including brochures, posters, pamphlets, periodic newsletters and press releases as and when needed.
- Organize events and help raise national awareness on the issues that UNFPA advocates (including photo exhibitions, drama festivals, song/poetry competitions, concerts, etc.).
- Draft statements, speeches and press releases for the UNFPA Representative.
- Prepare media arrangements for the UNFPA Representative at events and during the missions (involving local and international radio, television and newspapers).
- Assist in producing promotional materials together with program staff and other staff.
- Contribute to development of press and communication materials for media events such as World Population Day, Launch of The State of World Population Report, International Women’s Day, and the World AIDS Day among others, as well as key national events such as dissemination of studies/research/assessments.
- Develop and produce UNFPA news bulletin on a regular basis.
- Produce, with assistance of the programme staff, an Annual Programme Report.
- Produce photo and information materials on the implementation of the projects.
- Edit various reports/proposals/studies, press releases, speeches to ensure quality, including its gender sensitivity and social inclusion issues for advocacy and fund-raising purposes.
- Draft responses to the queries of the media.
- Develop strategic partnerships and network with Communication Officers of UN system, key development partners, civil society organizations (including faith-based organization) and national and international media.
- Participate in UN Communication Group and contribute to identifying new and creative ways to show how UN programs are delivering results and promoting a coherent image of the UN.
- Organize and undertake field trips for donors and international and/or national media to UNFPA program sites and report on the events and progress.
- Organize training workshops for implementing partners and journalists to sensitize and create awareness on UNFPA’s mandates and work in Kenya.
- Have a working knowledge of Kenya Media Network of Population and Development (KEMEP), and coordinate the successful implementation of media-related activities.
- Any other tasks given by the UNFPA Representative
- The necessary business acumen
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Integrity, commitment and respect for diversity
- Skills to manage relationships, communicate and develop people
- An ability for analytical and strategic thinking and results-oriented approach
- At least a Master’s degree in International Communication or related field. Training in packaging of Population and Reproductive Health issues will be an added advantage.
- 5 to 8 years of professional experience in Communication and Media work at a senior and preferably supervisory level.
- Fluency in oral and written English
- Proficiency in current office software applications such as In-Design, Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Word and corporate IT systems.