Tullow Oil Public Affairs Manager Job in Kenya
Tullow Oil Public Affairs Manager Job in Kenya
Tullow Oil is Africa’s leading independent oil and gas exploration and production company and is a constituent of the London FTSE100.
We provide the opportunities to build a solid future within our rapidly expanding portfolio and provide competitive rewards as part of our people strategy. Our high level of employee engagement is also one of our key success factors that we want to continue building on.
Tullow Oil is seeking a talented, self motivated, proactive and skilled individual of high personal integrity to fill the following position:
Kenya has no significant history of oil and gas development. Consequently many of the fiscal and regulatory issues are new to the country.
Tullow intends to build a profitable business in Kenya but also one which delivers significant benefits to the people of Kenya with emphasis on local content and localisation.
As a senior management position, it is expected that this role will contribute to the overall leadership of Tullow’s Kenyan business.
- Ensure that Tullow Kenya’s business decision making takes full account of the agendas of affected national level stakeholders (Government etc) and developing international trends / issues of relevance.
- Ensure that a comprehensive Political Risk Management Framework is developed and implemented in accordance with Group requirements.
- Identify and evaluate potential stakeholders and their agendas across the political spectrum, business community and other policy stakeholder to ensure that engagement strategies are fit for purpose.
- Develop effective channels of communication to provide stakeholders with a clear understanding of Tullow’s operations and enhance stakeholder support for Tullow’s objectives.
- Ensure that Tullow Kenya risk register includes appropriate reflection of potential political and policy risks (both emerging issues and those known) to the business.
- Maintain a Political Risk Management Plan for Tullow Kenya which identifies and assesses risks, defines actions and accountabilities and tracks implementation.
- Build and maintain a map of government, regulatory, political and business stakeholders who are relevant to the success of Tullow’s business to inform engagement and advocacy strategies.
- Identify and engage with internal stakeholders to inform them of local policy developments, determine the level of impact on the business and solicit input on mitigation strategies.
- Develop and execute strategy for engagement with National government representatives (ie. agencies, Parliamentarians etc) and other key stakeholders (Think Tanks, NGOs etc) to support delivery of agreed objectives.
- Determine the most effective communication mix/messages and appropriate timing and delivery for different influencer groups.
- Provide regular reporting on political risk and policy issues to in-country and regional management in line with agreed criteria.
- Advise management on all issues related to internal and external communications.
- Act as a senior spokesperson as requested.
- Devise and implement holistic media and communications strategies, including communications relating to development projects and brand management.
- Liaise with Regional and Group Communications, Investor Relations, External Affairs and Media to ensure consistency of Tullow Uganda’s internal and external communications.
- Contribute to crisis communication policy, build and re-enforce businesses’ crisis media response capabilities and provide consultation on crisis media communication.
- Review and approve communications such as press releases, speeches, publications or events to convey the desired message/s.
- Support industry affairs as requested by ensuring effective and consistent representation in industry/trade events/ initiatives
- Ensure key stakeholder biographies, briefs and engagement records are updated regularly.
- Manage Tullow Kenya’s sponsorship & donation activities in accordance to the approved policy & Tullow’s Code of Business Conduct.
- Provide strategic leadership for the Public Affairs team to achieve its objectives through team empowerment and effective delegation, whilst also contributing to the overall leadership of Tullow Oil Kenya and the achievement of the business unit objectives.
- Build and maintain strong team work across the External Affairs function and strive for continual improvement in team performance.
- Develop and manage the Operations and other cross-functional teams in organisational capability, team development, and resourcing and succession strategies with support from the functional lead in London and HR.
- Manage annual budget cycle, cost forecasting and key Corporate Affairs contracts
- Masters degree from a leading university in Business, International Development, Public Policy or related field. An international MBA would be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years’ international experience in one or a combination of the following:
- senior level project management or operations leadership.
- economics / international business policy or strategy development.
- government advocacy and/or external affairs work.
- Track record of government advocacy and/or external affairs work.
- Experience in one or more of the following sectors: extractives industries, regulated environment, financial services, multinational development or financial institutions, multinational companies, strategic management consulting company leading initiatives in social and economic development.
- Strong track record in building successful relationships and securing alignment between multiple stakeholders.
- Understanding and appreciation of corporate reputation issues affecting the extractive industries, including an ability to build a holistic picture of the key factors as they affect individual operating companies.
- Understanding of the UN Global Compact, Voluntary Principles, IFC Performance Standards, EITI and Equator Principles would be beneficial.
- A good understanding of the political culture and government decision-making processes in Kenya and the East Africa Region.
- Familiar with and sensitive to Kenyan customs and practices.
- Understanding of national and global geo-political and socio-political trends.
- Ability to monitor the external business environment for relevant public policy issues.
- Engaging across the business to identify and quantify impacts of policy developments.
P.O Box 6416,