TechnoServe Senior Business Advisor Job in Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Feb 12, 2014
Senior Business Advisor
Solutions for African Food Enterprises
I. General Information:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries.
We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets.
With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
Solutions for African Food Enterprises (SAFE) is a TechnoServe (TNS) program in partnership with USAID and Partners in Food Solutions, with the aims of increasing the competitiveness of the African food processing sector and expanding availability of affordable and nutritious foods.
Partners in Food Solutions (PFS) is a non-profit organization formed by General Mills to link the technical and business expertise of volunteer employees from General Mills, Cargill, Royal Dutch DSM and Bühler.
This program provides knowledge and technology transfer to build the capacity of African food processors, improving availability of nutritious foods and creating market opportunities for small holder farmers.
III. Position Description:
TechnoServe is seeking a Senior Business Advisor (SBA) for Kenya.
This role will support the business component of the capacity building needs of Kenya food processors.
The SBA will be responsible for assisting processors with customized business planning, investment plans, capital raising, overseeing market studies and developing customized processor marketing strategies, business operations and provision of other business advisory services.
IV. Duties and Responsibilities:
Specifically, the Senior Business Advisor (SBA) will be responsible for all business related deliverables within the SAFE Kenya program activities notably:
1. Business Development
- Maintain project work plan and ensure timely project implementation
- Lead and facilitate the business component of the technology and knowledge transfer to supported food processors, including customized interventions with select processors as well as facilitate broader business related trainings to the sector through workshops
- Support business growth planning with selected food processors, including marketing strategies, business planning, capital raising, equipment procurement, profit and loss forecasting, finance, market and operational planning
- Develop strong understanding of local markets ( both retail and food aid), oversee marketing studies for different food products and support market linkages for food processors
- Develop an understanding of the raw material supply chain and support linkages between the raw material suppliers and food processors
- Develop relations with financial lending institutions and support assisted food processing companies to access loans
- Ensure business project activities are implemented with sound managerial, technical, financial, human resource, and overall programmatic practices
- Participate in team meetings with the program team and implementing partners to track implementation progress, share learnings and provide input on the business component of our support to local food processors
- Produce statistical and narrative reports for internal and external consumption, including success stories, challenges, case studies and impact results against selected indicators
- Identify business knowledge gaps in the local food processing industry and, with our chosen partners, facilitate the design of a training module and lead implementation of this training through workshops
2. Monitoring and Evaluation
- The SBA will also be required to support project Monitoring and Evaluation by collecting the required impact data accurately in a timely manner and to contribute towards explanations of metric results and provide input to reports.
- Maintain strong working relationships with country food technologist, ensuring business support to their technical advice.
- Interface with other country and regional staff to share lessons, best practices and refine our engagement model for optimal efficiency and impact
- Support country-level adaptation and use of standard templates and tools for key project deliverables
- Work with program staff to identify program business needs
- Liaise with Regional management team
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with program implementing partners
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with relevant stakeholders in Kenya including government ministries, financial institutions, private sector companies, business associations and civil society organizations
- Secure the support of relevant private sector firms, financial institutions, and professional business councils/ associations, and other stakeholders to support the initiative
- Represent SAFE and TNS at internal and external functions
- Understand, respect and promote TechnoServe’s values, vision and strategy in the implementation of assigned duties.
Education / Qualification:
- Bachelor’s degree qualification in business related studies.
- Strong financial analysis and project management skills.
- Minimum of five years’ experience with financial, business development and /or economic or financial analysis in the private sector.
- Experience in financial auditing, business diagnostics, business ratios, and business plan development, conducting profit and loss analysis, loan requirements and loan management.
- Ability to quickly grasp the financial health and business needs of a company.
- Ability to translate financial and business needs into projects to be worked on with support from implementing partners.
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships.
- Ability to identify and understand issues and opportunities, compare data from different sources to draw conclusions, use effective approaches for developing appropriate solutions, take action that is consistent with available facts and probable consequences, communicate with and seek guidance from regional program management team.
- Proven ability and experience working with teams will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English
- Willingness to travel to remote rural locations and internationally.
- A valid driving license.
Reporting Unit / Supervisor: Program Manager
Location: Nairobi, Kenya with local travel up to 60% of the time
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word-formatted single document consisting of cover letter and resume to [email protected] .
Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered or contacted.
No phone calls please.
Deadline for applications is 1700h Monday 17th February 2014.
TechnoServe is an Equal Opportunity Employer