TechnoServe Mobile Technology TOR for Consultancy Job in Kenya
Overview of TechnoServe
- Pillar I: Mobile Supply Chain Solutions: CFA is engaging agribusiness partners to develop, refine and scale m-Agri solutions to lower their cost and risk of sourcing from women and men smallholder farmers.
- Pillar II: Mobile Financial Services: CFA will develop and launch scalable, replicable financial services that build on the M-PESA platform to empower smallholder farmers to accumulate assets and to reduce financial risks.
- Pillar III: VAS Provider Accelerator: In year three of the program, the CFA will work with an incubator partner to incubate local mobile VAS providers to develop services based on the unaddressed needs identified in the first two years of the program
Specific objectives of the consultancy
- Highlights of possible key implications to agribusiness e.g. staffing, budgets, organizational structure, systems and workflow etc.
- Importance of ownership of the technology adoption process by facilitating dialogue within the agribusiness
- Investing in the technology by committing time and resources in the process
- Understand importance of creating risk mitigation mechanisms in technology roll-out
- Importance of data management in technology
- Understanding of future technology changes and its effect to agribusiness operations
- Gender disparity in technology adoption and possible causes for disparities
- Highlights of proposed measures to address the disparity in technology adoption
Scope of Work
- Develop an appropriate assignment implementation design and work plan in consultation with the TechnoServe team.
- Conduct basic research in the areas of mobile technology adoption, change management, agribusiness development and gender, to inform development of the guide. He/she will take into consideration the existing Technoserve learnings in the aforementioned knowledge areas.
- Propose the content of the guide to be developed for discussion and agreement with TechnoServe. The guide should be adaptable for use across markets, Kenya, Tanzania and Mozambique (the guide should be able to cut across the regions of the project implementation, characteristics of different agribusinesses, and value chains)
- Design an appropriate, market oriented and unique title for the guide in liaison with Technoserve CFA team.
- Present the first draft of the guide to TechnoServe CFA team for review and feedback. The consultant will incorporate this feedback to the final draft that shall be presented to the stakeholders.
- Organize a stakeholders’ forum in liaison with the TNS CFA team, to pretest the draft Mobile Technology Adoption & Change Management guide. The stakeholder forums shall be country specific (Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique) and may include various cluster of stakeholders namely farmers, agribusiness, Technoserve partners, MNOs among others.
- Review the guide to incorporate learning from pretesting.
- Present a draft report to TechnoServe focusing on the process used to develop the Guide. This will include the list of interviewees engaged, resource materials and other relevant references used.
- Submit final reports with a summary of key findings and an appendices of notes taken during interviews/FGDs, survey instruments and sample photos of sessions.
- Submit the final Draft Mobile Technology Adoption & Change Management guide. This should incorporate the feedback obtained from the stakeholder forum. Additionally the guide should be in the approved Technoserve formart.
- Participate in a findings dissemination session(s) with TechnoServe
- Continuously and proactively work with Technoserve to ensure efficient and quality delivery of expected targets.
(A)Technical Proposal reflecting the following
Activity: Expertise of Firm/Organization- this section should provide details regarding the management structure of the organization, organization capability/resources, and experience of organization/firm, the list of projects/contracts (both completed and ongoing, both domestic and international) which are related or similar in nature to the requirement of this assignment i.e ICT for Agriculture; Change Management; Mobile Technology Adoption by Agribusinesses/or Farmers; Agribusiness development and Gender integration.
In complying with this section, the Proposer assures and confirms to TECHNOSERVE that the personnel being nominated are available for the contract on the dates proposed.
The financial proposal must include all the costs that will be charged in carrying out this assignment e.g. travel, accommodation etc. All sums need to be stated in gross amount with all taxes included.
Responsibilities of Technoserve
- TechnoServe will be responsible for the general management and coordination of the guide development process. Specifically, TechnoServe will;
- Prepare ToR and hire consultants in coordination with the donor.
- Avail documents relevant to the project context that the consultant might require
- Provide the list of Agribusinesses and farmers in the sampling design
- Monitor and provide feedback to ensure effectiveness of the study.
- Payment of the consultant as per the agreement.
- Give input to draft and final reports.
- Provide access to clients and key stakeholders
- Provide a key contact person to work with the consultant in delivering the assignment.
- A brief Power Point presentation of Assignment Report outlining key findings and implication of the assignment
- Draft Mobile Technology Adoption and Change Management Guide for discussion and pretesting by key stakeholders in the three countries (Kenya, Tanzania and Mozambique).
- Final version of The Mobile Technology Adoption and Change Management Guide which should be in a facilitator’s guide format illustrating:
- A clear Agribusiness client engagement path/process; tips and considerations
- Learning/training Activities that will walk the participants through the mobile technology change management processes.
- A clear, mapped out processes/activities for mobile technology adoption by Agribusiness. With a focus on benefits and risk associated with the adoptions.
- Suggested Gender integration activities that will assist the agribusiness increase women participation via the use of mobile technologies.
- Three (3) bound hard copies of the Final version of the Mobile Technology Adoption and Change Management Guide for Agribusinesses
- Soft copy version in (3) CDs, of the Final Version of the Mobile Technology Adoption and Change Management Guide for Agribusinesses
- All study materials including soft copies of all data sets both quantitative and qualitative and all filled quantitative data collection tools and qualitative data recording materials
- Both the Assignment report and the Guide will be written in English. The report should be concise in its findings and follow the required format. The three copies of the Guide and the final report will be presented to the CFA Program Director- TechnoServe
- Have proven experience in conducting assignments of similar nature.
- Have good conceptual understanding of market led approach in agriculture sector.
- Have good conceptual understanding of issues relating to a multiplicity of value chains including Staples related, Cash crops, Dairy and Horticultural sector or general agricultural production and processing firms.
- A proven record of accomplishing related tasks on time.
- An all-inclusive day rate (for professional and administrative)
- An amount for per diems (daily subsistence allowance) if applicable.
- Any other cost indicating the nature of such costs.
- Summary of the total costs for the services proposed.
- Proposed payment schedule.
- All costs for proposal preparation and of negotiating a contract, including travel will not be reimbursed as a direct cost of the assignment.
- Furthermore an indication of cost share as well as efforts to cut costs will be reviewed favorably.
Completed Expression of Interest (EOI) in a PDF format with subject line clearly marked as “CFA Guide Development Consultancy Service” should be submitted to the email address below;
The closing date for submission of Expression of Interest (EOI)/Proposal is Monday 31st March 2014.