Technology Innovations Internship
Educate! is seeking an enthusiastic and driven Technology Innovations Intern to lead the adoption of new cost-effective development technologies for our Kampala, Uganda head office. Educate! is scaling up to work in 10 new districts and over 200 new schools.
Our greatest challenge is how to manage the scale-up more efficiently leveraging new SMS, USSD, Voice, and Mobile Money technology. The Technology Innovations internship is a unique opportunity to design the future of how Educate! operates in Uganda and eventually across Africa.
There is no paper to push in this role! Through this internship you will help develop and maintain technologies to improve communication pathways and provide expertise on innovative IT strategies.
Educate! offers the chance to take a leadership role in technology development while working at a thriving, youthful non-profit.
Educate! works to transform the education system in Uganda to develop young leaders and entrepreneurs who take leadership initiative, create small businesses, and improve their livelihoods.
Educate!’s programs reach 20,000 youth and catalyze a 160% average personal income increase. Our curriculum has been recognized by awards from Ashoka and Echoing Green, and was adopted into Uganda’s national entrepreneurship curriculum, reaching over 25,000 students annually.
- Database for Mobile Phone Data Collection: Develop, pilot, and maintain a real-time dashboard of program monitoring information collected through SMS and Smartphone app from over 100 field staff and volunteers. This includes streamlining information collection and database set up.
- Mobile Money Transfer: Support the adoption of Beyonic Funds To Phones service for MM process management by establishing company-wide staff and volunteer contact management syncing with HR & CRM information, tracking historical payments, and designing tiered approval rules to match our SOPs, with required & optional approvers.
- Staff Training & Capacity Building: Train staff in computers and all new technology innovations. The Intern should be fluent in English, motivated, a strong communicator, and have a keen interest in teaching and working with people, especially in an international environment.
- Technology Innovations Research: Propose new and effective technology solutions for Educate! to cut costs and help Educate! to better reach our 20,000 youth.
- Computer Systems Support: Install and configure computer programs on our low-cost laptops. Diagnose and solve hardware and/or software issues.
Terms and Compensation
Educate! offers free housing accommodation in a fully-furnished and friendly Educate!-run guest house. Although the internship is unpaid, s/he will receive reimbursements for all work-related travel expenses.
This position reports to the Deputy Country Director and involves rotating support to the Finance Manager
and M&E Manager.
The duration of the internship is 3 to 6 months, with the possibility to renew or develop into a fellowship position with a small stipend.
The application deadline is March 7th. The start date is flexible, but preferably before June 2014 so that innovations can be implemented as quickly as possible.
Please title the subject of your email: “Technology Innovations Intern- Your name.”