SolarAid SunnyMoney Commercial Director Job in Nairobi Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Jan 11, 2014
Commercial Director (Nairobi based)
This new senior management position will have a critical role in the development and delivery of the SunnyMoney business plan.
You will manage our Operations Directors (who head up our country programmes) to drive sales, margins and business profitability; fuelling the growth of our social enterprise across the African continent.
The successful candidate will be a demonstrated high achiever with strong commercial and contractual negotiation skills, analytical skills; and experience in negotiations.
SolarAid is a London-based international development charity tackling poverty and climate change by building sustainable markets for solar energy.
Our social enterprise, SunnyMoney, is the leading distributor of solar lights in Africa. Currently operating in Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia and Kenya we are a fast-growing, ambitious charity with a goal to eradicate the kerosene lamp from Africa by 2020.
Our award winning community distribution model is catalysing a market for pico-solar products: providing economic opportunity for businesses and local entrepreneurs whilst making clean, safe light accessible in remote rural areas.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review the current sales strategy plan with each country and refine as necessary in alignment with growth opportunities.
- Establishing the right balance between the SunnyMoney way and local variances to it.
- In partnership with operations team lead a review of the current performance and work with each country to set commercial strategies in line with the overall organisational strategy
- Refine existing pricing of products and develop new pricing models if/when necessary in order to achieve target margins and drive profitability.
- With the Global team execute new business strategies in line with the business plan
- Support the process of recruiting A-player staff to lead SunnyMoney’s business in new countries into which we are expanding.
- Ensure that all financial and narrative reports are submitted internally and externally on time, in the correct format and to a high standard
Business and Strategic
- Ensure that our country teams deliver on agreed business plans; agreeing corrective measures when they are threatening not to.
- Working with our country teams to develop ambitious business plans consistent with The SunnyMoney Way.
- Conduct regular reviews of commercial performance of country business plans with regular (quarterly) opportunities to revise plans, ideally in an upwards direction.
- Oversee pricing strategies; and ensure that all SunnyMoney operations achieve the margin targets set by the Board.
- Ensuring that business plans are based on aggressive sales targets with robust sales strategies, structures and reward programmes to deliver them.
- Working with HR Director to help recruit and performance manage Operations Directors.
- Working with Marketing Director to implement agreed marketing strategies.
- Working with Finance Director to develop and implement agreed financial procedures and reporting systems.
- Producing regular monthly performance reports and end of year forecasts – to support the management accounts – for the SunnyMoney SMT and the SunnyMoney Board of Directors.
- Ensure that country teams report results in the agreed formats and timetables.
- Driving business processes and ensure an integrated management information system in country operations
- Oversee large scale, one-off, commercial opportunities where Operations Directors may need support. (E.g. relationships with major banks, telecoms companies, etc.).
- Work with the Head of Programmes and Partnerships to support them in translating SunnyMoney business plans into packages that make sense to donors.
Person Specification Skills/ knowledge
- Results focussed, commercially astute, bottom-line driven
- High level business acumen and ability to successfully apply commercial principles
- Possession of creative and strategic thinking skills and examples of applying these successfully
- Significant experience in leading and managing strategic organisational project
- Strong communication skills, representing the organisation at all levels at meetings and conferences
- Detailed understanding of IT, supply chain operations and administrative management
- Ability to develop effective systems and procedures
- Ability to coordinate various operational functions , to analyse and forecast accurately financial and operational requirements and to plan operations and resource management effectively
- Ability to project manage complex proposals involving input from a wide range of colleagues
- Demonstrated success in growing business and generating new opportunities
- Excellent supervisory and interpersonal skills, with proven ability to build constructive working relationships and build and lead teams.
- Able to make decisions, take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the decisions made
- Computer literacy (project planning, spreadsheets, word processing, email/internet)
- University degree with 5-7 experience in business development/commercially focused roles
- Effective communicator, with outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Commitment to our mission and developing the solar market
- Participatory and collaborative working approach
- Self starting, passionate, trustworthy, dependable and decisive leader who communicates effectively and consistently works efficiently to high standards
How to Apply
Interested applicants please email CV together with a covering letter which explains how you meet the criteria in this job description to: [email protected]
Important: Please entitle your email subject line with: Your name, position title and save letter together with CV in one attached file.
Deadline for applicants: 13th January 2014
Previous candidates need not reapply.