Shining Hope Country Director Job in Nairobi, Kenya
Reports to: CEO
In August 2009, we founded The Kibera School for Girls, the first entirely free school for girls in Kibera.
The second step of our model provides the community-at-large with tangible benefits through a community center adjacent to the school.
The unique services we offer include sanitary eco-toilets, a library and cyber café, gender violence support, microenterprise for HIV positive women, a youth center, access to water, business and literacy training, and hundreds of jobs.
We also operate the Johanna Justin-Jinich Community Clinic, which specializes in primary care and maternal health.
By investing in health and economic success through a school for girls, we demonstrate that benefiting women benefits the whole community, cultivating a community ethos that makes women respected members of society.
Management and Strategy
- Manage site manager(s) and national operations team to ensure that organizational goals and deliverables are being met.
- Provide leadership for SHOFCO’s vision, mission and values at the country level
- Work closely with the SMT to lead the strategic development and growth of all Kenya programs, with a focus on scaling up over the next 5 years.
- Ensure that structures and systems adhere to SHOFCO’s standards.
- Support service delivery and management to ensure coordination and efficiency between all country programs
- Support and hold management accountable for deliverables of their programs and staff.
- Promote a culture of achievement, excellence, mutual respect, and collaboration throughout the organization.
- Ensure programs develop and are implemented in accordance with SHOFCO’s annual and long-term goals.
- Ensure managers and their staff are achieving program targets and play a key role in new program design and implementation.
- Work with site managers and program officers on the development of annual program work plans.
- Work with the site managers, program officers, and the SMT in setting annual goals; developing and refining associated metrics for measuring impact.
- Partner with the M&E team to ensure data dissemination and integration with program planning and decision making.
- Oversee program evaluation and reporting.
- Identify, develop, improve and implement systems and processes to ensure organizational efficiency and effectiveness as SHOFCO continues to grow in size and complexity.
- Promote collaboration between the program and operations staff, as well as between site leadership, ensuring a positive and supportive work environment.
- Oversee SHOFCO’s professional development efforts, identifying opportunities for employee growth and designing programs as appropriate.
- Partner with Human Resources team to oversee a rigorous and integrated performance management system.
- Partner with staff to isolate trends and insights and make recommendations for revised performance management systems.
- Monitor and ensure adherence to rules, regulations and procedures.
- Promote the organization’s vision, mission and core values among partners in the region.
- Develop SHOFCO as a partner of choice for major local and international donors.
- Liaise and develop networks with government, non-government, partners and donors promoting an understanding of Shining Hope’s work.
- Ensure submission of timely and high quality proposals and reports.
- Provide timely and effective oversight of the financial position of all programs.
- Liaise with the US office to support US based development efforts and provide regular program updates.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree, higher academic qualification preferred.
Skills & Experience
- 10+ years’ professional experience, with at least 5 years proven experience in a management position and/or 3 years in a senior level role within a high-impact, growing business or non-profit.
- Experience growing an organization’s infrastructure from startup to maturity and/or experience managing many staff members with a high responsibility for growth and performance.
- Experience with community development and demonstrated passion for grassroots-inspired transformation, especially in urban communities.
- Track record of achieving results in a corporate or non-profit environment with success in building rigorous systems, policies, and tools to support a high-impact and diverse team.
- Exceptionally strong problem-solving and analytical skills, with an ability to clearly define strategic issues and make tough decisions in the face of ambiguity and incomplete information.
- Excellent quantitative skills and a proven ability to analyze performance management data, isolate insights and communicate them to a diverse array of stakeholders internally and externally.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple responsibilities; comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and committed to meeting deadlines and creating and improving processes
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with a myriad of stakeholders at all levels.
- Excellent communication (Fluency in English and Kiswahili, both verbally and in writing), presentation, and analytical skills.
- Strong financial fluency; demonstrated ability to specify the financial analyses required to support strategic decision-making and use financial indicators to manage organizational performance.
- Experience designing professional development and strategic talent management systems a plus.