Shining Hope for Communities Teacher Job Nairobi Kenya
Shining Hope for Communities Upper Primary Literacy & Social Studies Teacher Job in Kibera Nairobi Kenya
The unique services we offer include sanitary eco-toilets, a library and cyber café, gender violence support, microenterprise for HIV positive women, a youth center, access to water, business and literacy training, and hundreds of jobs.
- To create a flexible upper primary Literacy & Social Studies program and a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth;
- to establish effective rapport with students;
- to motivate students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for upper elementary grade education in accordance with each student’s ability;
- to establish good relationships with parents and other staff members
- Teaches upper primary mathematics and science using KSG’s curriculum.
- Works with elementary school teachers to further develop and improve their science knowledge and lessons.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
- Uses a variety of instruction strategies, such as inquiry, group discussion, lecture, discovery, etc.
- Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Assesses students’ mathematical skills and science knowledge for the purposes of refining classroom activities and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding students’ progress, keeps appropriate records, and prepares progress reports.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss students’ progress and interpret the school program.
- Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Creates an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and interest centers.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by professional growth activities.
- Selects and requisitions books and instructional aids; maintains required inventory records.
- Supervises students in out-of-classroom activities during the school day.
- Administers group standardized tests in accordance with school and national testing program.
- Participates in curriculum development programs as required.
- Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
- Bachelors of Education. With a concentration in Language and Humanities preferred.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of methods, materials and techniques used to teach literacy and social studies instruction for grades 4-8.
- At least three years of experience teaching middle-school literacy.
- Desire to be held accountable for student academic growth and academic results.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and flexibly with a diverse team of teachers.
- Analytical problem-solver and solutions-oriented strategic thinker who overcomes difficult challenges.
- Technological proficiency.
- Professional demeanor, strong work-ethic, detail-driven work style with excellent organizational skills.
- Ambitious nature interested in growing as an educator and reaching high standards professionally.