Save the Children Income Generating Officer Job in Dadaab Kenya
Role Purpose: This position is responsible for coordinating, managing and implementing of Income Generating Activities (IGA) Program. She/he will coordinate staff and volunteers in implementing IGA Program in Dadaab. You’ll play a crucial role in – researching, targeting and delivering new income streams for the various household and groups that we work with.
Reports to: Child Protection Manager
Dimensions: Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners.
Staff directly reporting to this post: Child Protection Officers
Key Areas of Accountability:
- To supervise, follow up and monitor activities in the IGA groups
- Conduct training of IGA groups in business skills, livelihoods and financial literacy/management
- Link IGA groups to the local and regional market
- Keep/manage records of revolving funds among IGA groups
- Organize and conduct training workshops for groups
- Network with other IGA projects locally and nationally to identify effective approaches
- Gain knowledge of local resources and their potential market
- Conduct value chain analysis
- Work in partnership with Project team to effectively plan, monitor and implement income generation activi-ties and identify prospective groups for IGA
- Conduct regular meetings with IGA groups and beneficiaries
- Document case studies and sharing lessons learnt, challenges and best practices
- Support in resource mobilization
- Identify gaps and provide recommendations to enhance improvement of livelihoods among IGA groups
- Work closely with the child protection officer, BID officer and outreach officer to identify vulnerable groups for IGA support.
- Participate in the project management team that meets on a regular basis
- Prepare and submit timely semi-annual, monthly and weekly reports.
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Minimum of first degree in business studies, marketing or entrepreneurship
- At least 3 years’ experience working on income-generating activities or livelihoods programmes at officer level
- Experience working in an NGO
- Ability to conduct training in entrepreneurship or related field
- Ability to plan and organize own work and produce results within stipulated time limits.
- Ability to establish priorities and undertake assigned tasks with minimum supervision
- Knowledge of project cycle management, including development of monitoring mechanisms and indicators and experience of evaluation.
- Knowledge of SPHERE standards, humanitarian charter, children’s rights and NGO code of conduct.
- Good skill in operating Microsoft office, especially Excel, word programmes and e-mail.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to work regardless of religious, ethnic and cultural differences.
- Ability to work in team work
The application process is now open and will close on 16th December 2013 at 5.00 p.m.