Safaricom Limited Principal IP / MPLS Support Engineer Job in Kenya
Reporting to the Senior Manager-Transport & IP Support, the role holder responsible for Operations, Maintenance and Optimization of IP NGN Transport core network that support the present and future needs of the business.
- Develop and continuously review network O&M processes;
- Provide leadership in network faulting and troubleshooting processes;
- Provide Level 2 escalation support for complex IP Network issues, document root-cause-analysis for the faults experienced and share knowledge on mitigation of recurrence;
- Ensure proper network capacity monitoring and measurement is in place;
- Lead on the proactive optimization activities to enhance the IP network quality and stability;
- Design and implement SLA measurements on the IP network and strive towards meeting the same;
- Implement constant security audits on the different IP Networks and come up with proposals for hardening;
- Represent the team in Security discussions and implementation of the same on the IP Networks;
- Perform quarterly skills transfer to 1st line teams to build skills and hence improve on the MTTF/MMTR;
- Develop and maintain network designs and track changes with updating of the LLDs and HLDs;
- Provide in-house consultancy to key projects within the company;
- Ensure proper CAPEX/OPEX forecasting and utilization, develop and implement cost savings initiatives;
- Develop and maintain relevant ways of tracking SLA performance on the IP Networks.
- 5+ years of direct Network Engineering/Network Support experience in a busy Service Provider environment;
- BSc in Computer Science, Information Systems, Electrical/Computer Engineering or related fields required;
- CCIE R&S or SP desired; CCNP/CCIP certification a must;
- Expert knowledge of TCP/IP and the OSI model;
- Experience with network visualization, simulation and modeling tools (e.g. Cariden MATE, OpNET SP Guru, HP Network Analytics);
- Strong skills and experience with IP routers and switches. Extensive knowledge of IP Routing and IP routing protocols (OSPF, ISIS, EIGRP, and BGP);
- Knowledge of QoS techniques and hands on experience of implementing MPLS services;
- Expert knowledge of network design principles and design best practices.
The Head of Talent and Resourcing,