RTI Regional Accountant Job in Nairobi Kenya
Overall purpose: The position is responsible for the day to day financial management of the Regional office, utilizing the appropriate systems and following proper procedures to disburse, account, budget and report usage of funds.
- Prepare payment vouchers and make payments to vendors and staff travel advances.
- Receive all cash payments and reports of travel liquidations
- Prepare and process payroll, including statutory deductions payments and reports to the tax authorities
- Reconciling both vendors, staff advances accounts and the Regional office balance sheet accounts
- Recording of transactions in the accounting system.
- Manage petty cash accounts and Regional Office cash flow
- Prepare and submit monthly expense reports and bank reconciliations to the RTI home office.
- Perform the banking support to the regional office
- Assist with Audit preparation, tracing documents and filing.
- Prepare and process payroll for some Regional Office and Project staff located in other countries in the Region
- Facilitate the disbursement of funds for project activities in other countries in the Region, ensuring proper supporting documentation is provided
- Identify and recommend improvements to standard operating procedures
- Perform other tasks as assigned by his/her supervisors.
- Accounting Professional Qualification CPA , ACCA or its equivalent (Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce (Accounting), Business Administration or a relevant field is an added advantage
- Minimum of six (6) years working experience in the accounting/finance field within a busy working environment such as International Non-Governmental Organizations
- At least two years of experience working for a USAID and DFID funded projects is desirable.
- Managerial experience is an added advantage.
- Ability to resolve problem situations in a tactful and effective manner, both orally and in writing with definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in;
- ability to understand and interpret policies and procedures as well as the ability to apply them with consistency in a variety of circumstances;
- must be proficient in MS Excel and working knowledge of accounting software is preferable;
- QuickBooks proficiency would be a plus;
- knowledge and experience of USAID and DFID projects, rules and regulations is an added advantage;
- fluency in English, knowledge of French is an added advantage;
- strong attention to detail, accuracy and organizational skills with ability to be flexible and work well under pressure in a multi-tasking environment;
- holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling RTI International values;
- ability to work well in team environment and ability to relate with persons from diverse cultures.