REGAL-AG Jobs Kenya – Vacancy in Isiolo
Posted: Jun 2, 2013
REGAL-AG Livestock Productivity Specialist and Regional Manager Job in Isiolo Kenya
USAID Resilience and Economic Growth in the Arid Lands-Accelerated Growth (REGAL-AG)Job Description
Livestock Productivity Specialist and Regional Manager – Isiolo
Livestock Productivity Specialist and Regional Manager – Isiolo
Summary: The REGAL-AG, USAID-funded multi-year project will identify, integrate and sustain humanitarian investments that prove to be effective in sustainably increasing resilience and reducing the need for recurrent humanitarian assistance, and to build on these investments to accelerate sustainable economic growth.
REGAL-AG will sustainably reduce poverty and hunger through a growth and poverty reduction strategy in line with USAID’s Feed the Future strategy.The REGAL-AG program builds upon and deepens the USAID investment in select areas to improve the inclusiveness and competitiveness of the livestock value chain in two counties while furthering livestock-related economic opportunities.
A key focus on the project will involve facilitating behavior change in actors all along the chain – from livestock keepers, to middlemen, traders, transporters, and buyers – in order to improve their economic resilience and stimulate growth.The Livestock Productivity Specialist and Regional Manager, under the leadership of the Deputy Chief of Party and Livestock Advisor, will lead REGAL-AG all livestock development activities in the Isiolo region including, among others, include: improved livestock productivity, animal nutrition, animal health, breeding, and livestock marketing.
- Oversee the technical quality of livestock development activities that, among others, include: improved livestock productivity, animal nutrition, animal health, breeding, and livestock marketing in Isiolo.
- Support Deputy Chief of Party and Livestock Advisor in providing leadership management and general technical direction of
- Component 3: Improving Livestock Productivity and
- Component 4: Expand Existing and Develop New Input and Service Markets.
- In the design and implementation of activities within these components, maintain a daily, operational commitment to the program’s systemic, inclusive, and facilitative implementation approach.
- Work with Deputy Chief of Party and Livestock Advisor to develop and implement value chain facilitation interventions that increase livestock productivity by increasing access to animal feed in all seasons, improving access and affordability of feed and improving herd management and health.
- Play a lead role in interacting with key implementing actors and other development partners in Isiolo. Coordinates with the Deputy Chief of Party and Livestock Advisor on a regular basis to participate in and coordinate regular planning processes; discuss field activities, successes, and potential issues and risks; and contribute to knowledge management.
- Ensure implementation of the cross-cutting Gender Integration Strategy and Work Plan, which will be cross-cutting across all REGAL-AG components, and which will be led by the Gender Advisor. Coordinate with the Gender Advisor so that gender considerations can be meaningfully and efficiently integrated throughout all of REGAL-AG activities and operations in Isiolo.
- Collaborate closely with the REGAL-IR project in Isiolo to improve community based rangeland management—a critical contributor to livestock productivity in pastoral production systems.
- Ensure REGAL-AG activities in Isiolo comply with environmental recommendations and appropriate environmental compliance status reporting, as detailed in the Environmental Monitoring, and Mitigation Plan (EMMP) and Pesticide Evaluation Report and Safer Use Action Plan (PERSUAP). .
- Identify issues and risks related to program implementation in a timely manner, and suggest appropriate program adjustments.
- Ensure quality control and timeliness of all deliverables. Prepare and contribute to work plans, financial, logistical and other documents as requested to facilitate the successful, responsive implementation of the program.
- Support the overall knowledge management process, contributing to quarterly reports and the M&E process. Emphasize and facilitate the development of a robust learning culture within the REGAL-AG team in Isiolo.
Under the guidance and supervision of the DCOP/Livestock specialist
- Provide leadership in identifying livestock-related household economic strengthening activities for vulnerable households in the county
- Maintain strong relationships with groups, associations and government partners supporting various actors in the livestock value chain.
- Work with target actors to provide opportunities to participate in entrepreneurial/innovations/capacity building or training, as well as other market based opportunities by linking with REGAL–AG and other USAID programs and implementers conducting economic, livestock and nutrition development programs.
- Maintains regular constructive communication with all project sub-contractors
- Develops project collaboration with the public authorities in the District of Isiolo and particularly with the Ministries of Livestock Development, Agriculture and the Provincial Administration.
- Promotes the project in Isiolo and seeks leverage with other projects, donors, and investors.
- Regularly visits project sites as well as the sub-contractor offices in locations slated for intervention.
- Develop weekly situation briefs to the COP about all issues which could cause serious harm to the project as well as to ACDI/VOCA’s reputation and business.
- Ensures that appropriate security procedures and roles are followed by the project staff and any other assignments or tasks at the request of his/her supervisor.
- Minimum of 5 years of practical experience in livestock development, including livestock marketing and processing.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in animal science, range management, livestock marketing, dairy/meat processing, agribusiness management, International relations, development studies, pastoral livestock systems or related field.
- Strong oral and written communication skills is required
- Good problem solver, self-starter, creative and innovative, good communication, leadership and reporting skills required.
To be considered for this recruitment, please e-mail your resume to [email protected]
Please include the position title in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
Only finalists contacted.
Women and minorities encouraged to apply.
Please apply by close of business, June 15, 2013