Practical Action Energy Specialist Job in Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Feb 21, 2014
Practical Action is an international development agency working with poor communities to help them choose and use technology to improve their lives today and for generations to come.
The above exciting position has arisen within the organisation.
This is a senior level position which requires a highly motivated individual with excellent ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Leading Practical Action’s policy advocacy for poor people in Eastern Africa to access energy for household and productive uses and for community services (Total Energy Access);
- Developing and securing funds for a rich portfolio of energy projects in the region to be undertaken by Practical Action alone and in partnership with other NGOs, Civil Society Organisations, government institutions and the private sector;
- Delivery of all regional energy projects and accountability for managing associated grants and other funds and for reporting to project funders;
- Coordinating with UN agencies and other international and national SE4All stakeholders to ensure that poor people in the region benefit from the SE4LL initiative;
- Engaging with Government and County governments, international agencies, donors, other civil society and the private sector in the region both to secure funds and to influence energy policies and practices to the benefit of poor people
- Developing new, innovative programme designs (such as results-based approaches, and private-sector partnerships) which will leverage funding effectiveness and open up new opportunities;
- Developing innovative energy programmes, including on climate change and other emerging areas relevant to energy work;
- Ensuring that Practical Action East Africa’s energy programme team has the necessary skills, capabilities and expertise and delivers high quality, professional work.
The position is directly responsible for efficient and effective management of all of Practical Action East Africa Energy’s human, financial, technical, structural, and equipment resources and assets.
The position has a responsibility to manage the organization’s reputation and image in relation to its energy activities within the geographical areas of operations.
The right candidate should be:
- A current thought leader in the area of energy, climate change and development
- A team player with excellent communication skills
- A creative person who embraces innovation, and is capable of capturing opportunities as well as creating them
- Committed to poverty alleviation.
- Masters Degree, first degree MUST be in Renewable Energy/ Engineering/related areas
- Post graduate diploma in project/programme management, community development, climate change or related field
- At least seven (7) years’ work experience in development or a relevant technical field, and minimum of three to five years of senior management experience in a non-profit organization.
- Experience of delivering innovative energy/climate change programmes within the NGO or private sector is highly desirable
- Good Knowledge and understanding of development issues affecting Kenya and the region
- Working experience with communities and partner organisations
- Excellent analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Excellent writing skills and proven track record of writing successful funding proposals
- Strong computer skills in word-processing, spreadsheets and email/internet
- Ability to work in a team, and work with minimal supervision
- Willingness to travel, live and work in remote areas.
- Good knowledge of Energy, Environmental systems and Policy issues
- Clear understanding of climate change, markets and gender issues and their implications on energy delivery
- Experience of working in an International NGO environment
Applications, including curriculum vitae, three referees, telephone/email contacts, details of present and expected salary should be sent by e-mail to reach the address below by 7th March 2014.
Human Resources Officer
PO Box 39493 – 00623
PO Box 39493 – 00623
Email: [email protected]
Only short listed candidates will be notified.
Practical Action is an equal opportunity employer