Opportunity Kenya Education Credit Manager Job in Nairobi
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Feb 21, 2014
Opportunity Kenya Ltd is a microfinance institution with operations in Nairobi, Western, Nyanza and Rift Valley provinces of Kenya, and is seeking qualified applicants for the Education Credit Manager (ECM) Position.
Reporting to the Chief Relationship Officer, the Education Credit Manager must represent Opportunity’s core values of Commitment, Humility, Respect, Integrity, Stewardship and Transformation.
The ECM shall be located at the Head Office.
- Supervise all sales, business development, risk management and reporting functions for the Education Finance portfolio.
- Together with the Head of Education Finance for the Opportunity Network, Opportunity Kenya Ltd CEO and Opportunity Kenya Ltd Chief Relationship Officer, sets annual sales targets.
- Provides leadership to the day-to-day operations of the sales/business development function, taking personal responsibility for achieving Education Finance sales targets.
- Seeks out and targets new customers and new sales opportunities, initiates action plan to approach and secure new business for the Company by working closely on the ground in the respective areas where we are represented with the Branch Managers and Transformation Officer.
- Responsible for achievement of education-related donor deliverables according to signed agreements
- Responsible for ensuring that internal operational processes (credit processing and approval, fund disbursement, collateral registration, etc.) do not stand in the way of efficient and effective portfolio sales and good customer service. Takes a lead role in troubleshooting within the organization, when necessary.
- Reports monthly, quarterly, annual, and ad hoc sales and outreach data on a timely basis and according to deadlines set, both within Opportunity Kenya Ltd and to the Head of Education Finance for the Opportunity Network
- Maintains regular communication with the Opportunity Network Education Finance Team to receive support and guidance in the implementation of activities, remain aware of developments in the global network that can inform work in Kenya, and new product developments and opportunities to better service the Kenyan market.
- Ensures regular client, supplier and staff satisfaction reviews to ensure that the portfolio is properly targeting the appropriate clientele.
- Establishes and ensures the delivery of high quality service standards to internal clients in responding to enquiries, requests and issues, and takes corrective action when necessary.
- Manages the day-to-day sales, marketing, product and business development, communication and external affairs functions and activities within the Education Finance portfolio and resolves any arising conflicts
- Establishes performance goals for all Education Finance relationship officers, and monitors performance on a continual basis.
- Develops, or participates with the Senior Staff, in the development of the Strategic Marketing Plan for the Company.
- Develops, maintains and improves business relations with all customers of the Company’s Education Finance products.
- Manages the Education Finance portfolio’s risks to ensure that PAR is within the OKL Risk appetite standards
- Acts as an exemplar to the organizational values and sets a personal example to all staff, and advises, guides and supports all direct reports.
- Engages in active knowledge management within Education Finance, profiling key learnings, adapting products as necessary and in consultation with management, and consistently makes necessary revisions to key portfolio strategies as needed and directed by key learnings from the field.
Minimum Education and Experience
- A University Degree preferably Business, Accounting, or Economics
- 5 years’ experience in a managerial position with at least 2-3 years in sales team management
- Practical experience with SME loan sales, preferably with some experience in lending to schools
- Strong knowledge of internal micro finance operations and loan sales strategy
- An MBA or similar masters level business degree will be an added value
The Ideal Candidate will possess the following attributes
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Planning and Performance Management
- Ability to set and deliver business goals specifically in the areas of portfolio quality, profitability, product performance, and risk management
- Ability to set, monitor, and assess achievements against performance targets, quality standards, and service agreements
- Ability to conceptualize and formulate a business strategy and implementation plans
- Ability to develop and get results through people by motivating and mentoring them to exceed expectation, especially those with multiple direct reports
- An in depth knowledge of micro lending products or services and ability to recommend changes to meet customer needs
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively, apply common sense to carry out instructions and instruct others, interpret documents, understand procedures, write reports and correspondence; and speak to third parties and employees
- An effective leader with the ability to enthuse and inspire employees to give their best in order to achieve goals
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with individuals and teams as a whole
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Strong analytical and influencing skills
Qualified candidates are invited to send their application letters, an up-to-date CV, telephone contact, copies of academic and professional certificates and names and telephone contacts for three current referees to the Human Resource Manager by Tuesday 25th February 2014.
Kindly indicate your current salary in your application.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please use the following address:
The Human Resource Manager
Opportunity Kenya Limited
P.O. Box 19497-00202
Opportunity Kenya Limited
P.O. Box 19497-00202
or send application to [email protected]