One Acre Fund Regional Payroll Manager Job in Kenya
Industry: Nonprofit / International Development
Organization Description: Most of the world’s poor are farmers, representing the largest and most uniform group of poor people in the world.
We are growing quickly. In five years, we have grown to serve 130,000 farm families with more than1000 full-time field staff. In three more years, we will at least quadruple in size, while adding several new countries.
Job Description: We have almost 2,000 employees in four countries. As we continue to expand, we need to develop and maintain a payroll system that strikes a balance between meeting each country’s unique needs, and standardizing common practices across countries.
We are seeking an exceptional professional to serve as Regional Payroll Manager.
The Manager will initially be responsible for day-to-day managing and overseeing of Kenya payroll operations, including all payroll information gathering, communication, and data-entry for the country.
When the Manager has shown a complete understanding of the Kenya operations, his/her responsibility will expand to take on the other countries within East Africa as well.
He/she will interface with VIP to oversee configuration changes to our payroll database and design excel-based report templates for standard reporting across all countries.
- Supervise and mentor team of payroll associates and data-entry specialists
- Liaison with each country office’s HR, Finance and other departments as necessary
- Liaison with statutory and governing bodies responsible for collecting and monitoring payroll taxes in each country
- Manage outside payroll vendor relationship
- Review payroll processes, procedures, making changes while ensuring adequate controls are in place and followed
- Ensure that all procedures are thoroughly documented, included checklists to ensure steps are completed when processing the payroll
- Ensure compliance with a given country’s payroll tax deadlines
- Ensure payroll tax liabilities for all countries are reported to the appropriate tax authority and reconciled to the GL and underlying payroll sub ledger
- Recommend improvements to the payroll process. Work with each country office and outside payroll vendor on recommendations and changes
- Ensure that all payroll processes are thoroughly tested before going live
- Develop procedures to ensure that all GL account reconciling items that impact payroll entries are resolved timely and completely
- Liaison with internal & external audit on payroll issues
- Resolve employee’s escalated payroll issues.
- Remain current on country payroll legislative updates and actions taken on the part of regulatory bodies with regard to effect on payroll procedures
- Minimum 5 years payroll or finance/HR experience, with 3 years of management experience
- Must have supervised minimum of 3 staff
- Degree in accounting, finance, economics or business administration preferred
- Strong excel skills, including work with creating reports, and general IT knowledge
- Excellent communication, management, and mentoring/training skills – we are seeking someone who can provide effective remote support to departments in other countries
- Experience performing or managing payroll tax filings
- Experience with payroll year end process and reporting
- Experience driving process improvements
- Thorough knowledge of payroll Laws and Regulations and taxes in Kenya and the rest of East Africa
- Must possess integrated HR/Payroll systems experience and knowledge of accounting as it relates to payroll.
- Strong multi-tasking skills—must be able to work on a number of different projects at the same time as well as prioritize staff’s workload
- Able to meet deadlines and work under time constraints
- Possess strong analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent English and Basic French required
Timeline: Resumes should be submitted by January 17, 2014. We will begin interviews in late January and plan to make an offer to begin immediately.
To Apply: Email your cover letter and resume only to [email protected] (Subject line: Regional Payroll Manager + the place you heard of the position) and include salary expectations.
Applicants who do not comply with this requirement will not be considered.
One Acre Fund is an equal opportunity employer.