Industry: Nonprofit / International Development / Agriculture / Microfinance
Function: Inputs Procurement Associate
Employer: One Acre Fund
Job Location: Nairobi
Minimum 1 year. This is a long term career position.
One Acre Fund is an agricultural NGO in Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi and Tanzania that is innovating a new way of helping farm families to achieve their full potential.
One Acre invests in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income. We provide farmers with a “market bundle” that includes education, finance, seed and fertilizer, and market access.
Our program is proven impactful – every year, we weigh thousands of harvests and measure more than 100% average gain in farm income per acre.
We are growing quickly. In six years, we have grown to serve over 130,000 farm families with more than 1,000 full-time field staff in Kenya.
The Inputs Team is responsible for procuring agricultural inputs (seed, fertilizer, solar lights, other necessary items).
This entails working with local and international suppliers to collect price quotes, negotiating to get the best price, ensuring the correct agreements are in place, and that deliveries to our warehouses are made on time.
This requires frequent written and verbal communication with our suppliers as well as the various teams within One Acre Fund that we are procuring inputs for.
The Inputs team serves One Acre Fund operations in Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania and Uganda, so the scope of work is truly international and involves understanding the different needs and available supply in all of these countries.
Primary Duties of the Procurement Associate
- Work with One Acre Fund operations teams to understand their needs for agricultural inputs, the quantities required and the deadlines for delivery
- Maintain a database of local and international suppliers and understand which inputs they carry
- Reach out to suppliers to get price quotations and negotiate best possible price
- Develop and maintain templates for purchase orders, contracts, and other required documents
- Work with suppliers to sign contracts and place orders
- Work with One Acre Fund finance team to ensure that suppliers are paid on time
- Follow up with suppliers to ensure that deliveries are made timely
- Occasionally provide support on working with clearing agents and insurance companies
- Constantly look out for new sources of supply and way to decrease the costs of agricultural inputs for One Acre Fund
- Provide general support to Inputs Team Manager
If you have skills and experience in the areas above please highlight them on your cover letter and resume.
We are seeking professionals with 1-2 years of work experience, preferably in procurement.
We are looking for extraordinary candidates that are organized and proactive.
Please only apply if you fit these criteria:
- Undergraduate degree from a recognized academic institution, at least Second Upper preferred
- Minimum C+ in KCSE or equivalent, but minimum B in Math, English.
- Work experience in a demanding professional environment such as government, business or NGO’s
- Experience in procurement preferable, but not required
- Demonstrated computer skills in email, internet usage, Microsoft Office
- Strong written and oral communicator with good attention to detail
- Proven ability to set and meet targets
- Fluent in Kiswahili and English
Timeline: We are looking for someone to start by the beginning of February.
Compensation: 30,000 Ksh/month with annual increments based on performance.
Benefits: Airtime and small transportation allowances
Career development: One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership capacity.
We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through weekly mentorship and two annual career reviews.
We also have regular one-on-one meetings where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about.
Opportunity to grow based on personal performance.
One Acre Fund is an equal opportunity employer.
Email your cover letter and resume only to [email protected] (Subject line: Inputs Procurement Associate + the place you heard of the position).
Applicants who do not comply with this requirement will not be considered.
Applications deadline 17th January 2014.