Nuru International Database Manager Job in Isibania, Kuria West, Kenya
Job Title: Database Manager
Posting Expires: February 24, 2014
Nuru Kenya’s Monitoring and Evaluation Team is actively seeking a highly qualified and energetic team player for its Database Manager Team.
Contract specification will be in accordance with those established in the employment contract.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Train staff on the use of database
- Research and resolve technical issues of database users from all program areas (Agriculture, CED, Education, Healthcare, Leadership, administration and M&E)
- Creation and interpretation of trends in graphs and charts for use in decision making
- Generation and interpretation of reports on operational and program indicators
- Summarize and analyze samples of data, including construction of confidence intervals and statistical tests of significance
- Contacting database vendor/M&E data scientist for technical support as and when needed.
- Plan, coordinate and implement security measures to safeguard information in computer files against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure.
- Establishment of user privileges to enhance data integrity and consistency controls there by protecting data from unauthorized use.
- Specify users and user access levels for each segment of database.
- Establishment of procedures and facilities for backing up data such as automatic dump, periodic backup, cold back, hot backup- or backups stored in a secure, off-site location.
- Approve, schedule, plan, and supervise the installation and testing of new products and improvements to M&E computer systems, such as the installation of new databases or software.
- Modify existing databases and database management systems or direct programmers and analysts to make changes.
- Modifications/Changes should meet the needs of Nuru Kenya and Nuru International and should be done in consultation with the data scientist.
- Work as part of M&E team to coordinate and cultivate database and IT development and determine project scope and limitations.
- Any other duty assigned to him/her by the line manager
- Holds a degree in Computer Science, IT, Statistics or other relevant quantitative area
- Superior computer skills, specifically Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Internet and at least one statistical analysis software such as SAS, SPSS, R or STATA (STATA preferred)
- Experience writing formulas to manipulate large data sets in Excel or other statistical programs
- At least 2 years’ experience in Database management
- Fluent in written and spoken English (mandatory), Kiswahili (mandatory) and Kikuria (preferred)
- Has effective project management and communications skills
- Can work in office or field setting
- Long-term commitment to ending extreme poverty in rural Kenya
- Can work for long periods of time
- Applicants must currently live in Kuria West District or be willing to relocate for this position.
- Relocation pay, monetary support for family relocation, housing and housing allowance, food allowance and commuter transport allowance will not be provided.
- Compensation: commensurate with experience
Attention: HR Manager, Job: Database Manager, M&E
P.O. Box 176
Isibania, Kuria West, Kenya 40414