WHO NPO Job in Nairobi Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Sep 11, 2013
WHO NPO / Communications and Social Mobilization Officer Job in Nairobi Kenya
World Health Organization . Organisation Mondiale De La Sante
The mission of WHO is the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health.
Vacancy Notice No: KEN/VN/2013/09/017
Title: NPO / Communications and Social Mobilization Officer
Type of Contract: Special Service Agreement
Duration of Contract: One Year
Duty Station: Nairobi
Applications are hereby invited from suitable Kenya nationals in WHO Kenya to fill the above post.
As the communication and social mobilization officer, the incumbent will provide technical support in the area of communication with regard to Polio and other expanded polio immunization activities at national level.
Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected):
Under the guidance and supervision of the WHO Representative, and in collaboration with Government of Kenya the incumbent performs varied and diverse duties related to communication and social mobilization which includes;
1. Facilitate design, development and implementation of innovative evidence-based communication strategies and plans of action aiming at:
a. Behaviour change at individual/household levels;
b. Social mobilization of civil society organizations; and
c. Increased community participation in vaccine preventable diseases including polio eradication programmes.
2. Develop partnerships and sustained engagements with the media, religious groups associations, non-compliant groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists, healthcare professional associations, civil society organizations and other organized groups in the community, to orient them on country programme goals and to solicit their involvement in the implementation of the country immunisation programme activities and polio outbreak response activities in order to mitigate negative sociocultural practices.
3. Support the Ministry of Health (MOH) Department of Health Promotion to develop and implement health promotion packages, training materials and other activities to build capacity in participatory and behaviour communication at various government levels for programme sustainability.
4. Engage with all partners, particularly government, to bring improved communication for vaccine preventable diseases including polio eradication efforts in line with communication efforts of Division of Vaccines and Immunisation, Division of Disease Surveillance and Department of Health Promotion;
a. Provide leadership for strategic development and implementation of agreed activities;
b. Provide required monitoring updates by developing and expanding tracking tools.
5. Advocate with the policy makers, political groups in order to harness their support, participation and commitment to control/eliminate/control vaccine preventable diseases in Kenya
6. Organize/manage the formative research, development, pre-testing and production of culturally relevant communication materials to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery and behaviour change.
7. Prepare health information packages and facilitate dissemination of information on VPDs and other health information to the members of the public, policy makers and other stakeholders
8. Design and implement a monitoring and evaluation system of communication and related activities
9. Support resource mobilization activities for advocacy, communication and social mobilization activities
10. Participate in national, regional, and international forum to guide improved communication and social mobilization for polio eradication efforts
11. Where necessary, conduct field visits especially to high risk districts to assess the situation on the ground and provide supportive supervision.
- Advanced university degree in Social Sciences or Communication, Journalism, Public Relations. (An undergraduate degree plus at least 5 years of demonstrated professional experience in the field of developmental communications, external relations, public affairs, public relations or corporate communications could be considered.)
Desirable: Training in communication within large multi culture organization is desirable.
Essential: Excellent knowledge of English, with the ability to work in other UN language.
Desirable: Working knowledge of French is an added advantage.
- Five years of progressively responsible and relevant professional work experience in developmental communication, print, broadcast, and/or new media.
- Field work experience is necessary as well as familiarity with communication for Emergency situations.
- Experience working in UN/WHO would be an added advantage.
- Experience in use of IT or other ERP systems coupled with practical experience on communication in a large organization an asset.
Others essential Skills:
- Work requires the use of word processing or other software packages, and standard office equipment in report writing, presentations among other tasks.
Quoting the vacancy notice number, the application letter and latest curriculum vitae should be sent to:
P.O. Box 45335 – 00100
P.O. Box 45335 – 00100
Attention: Operations Officer
Application Deadline: 25 Sept 2013.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for interview.