Short Term Consultancy
Database Development for KMMP National Scale-up Project
mothers2mothers (m2m) is an international non-governmental organisation headquartered in Cape Town, SA, dedicated to providing education and support to pregnant women and mothers living with HIV, and preventing mother-to-child transmission.
m2m empowers HIV-positive pregnant women and new mothers to become role models in their communities by promoting AIDS awareness, testing and services. m2m currently operates in 6 countries in Africa and receives funding from a diverse set of funders.
m2m has been implementing its Mentor Mother Model in Kenya since 2008, and has successfully adapted peer education and psychosocial support to the Kenyan context to improve client PMTCT and maternal, new born, and child health (MNCH) outcomes and currently operates 30 health facilities across the country.
m2m Kenya also provides implementation support services to Ministry of Health (MOH) and implementing partners (IPs) in order to facilitate standardization and scale up the mentor mother model under the Kenya Mentor Mother Program (KMMP).
B. Purpose of Assignment
Each of the two inter-related m2m Kenya programmatic appraoches require an effective Monitoring and Evaluation system, including databases.
M&E – Direct implementation
Mentor Mothers provide group, one-on-one and couples education, facilitate support groups and conduct defaulter tracing and referrals under the KMMP.
They document their activities in M&E tools that collect client and program data on daily and monthly basis.
m2m already has in place an SQL database that is used to manage this data.
M&E – National Scale up Support activities
The goal of m2m Kenya’s KMMP National Scale-up Project is: elimination of Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV (eMTCT) and improved maternal child health through two interrelated strategic objectives (SO):
- SO1: Kenya has an enabling policy environment and systems for financing and implementing the KMMP
- SO2: Implementing partners and the MOH deliver quality KMMP services at scale
Several activities, processes and intermediate results track the project’s contribution towards the goal of eMTCT.
m2m is seeking to engage a consultant or service provider to develop a database that will support and consolidate data management and M&E of KMMP National Scale-up project performance over time.
It will enable various stakeholders to keep track of the activities in a timely, consistent way and hence make informed decisions regarding the effectiveness of programs and the efficient use of resources.
Some information will be reported quantitatively while others will be needed to report qualitatively/narratively.
m2m Kenya will use the database to consolidate activities, inputs, reports for implementation support services provided to MoH and IPs.
Reports from the database will be reported to stakeholders including donors, and Head Office on a regular basis.
m2m therefore anticipates having a user-friendly data management system which facilitates timely use of reliable strategic information by stakeholders, for improved program quality, communication and reporting.
C. Database Requirements and Priorities
The following are core requirements and priorities for the M&E database, presented to serve as a guide.
The selected service provider will be expected to develop and share additional innovations that may enhance the efficiency and functionality of the database:
1. Data Management
- Different users able to access data and reports at different levels
- Flexible for periodic upgrades (in house) to accommodate new or modified variables
- Automatic query generation
- Audit trail for query monitoring, resolutions and data revisions
- Automatic reminders for overdue monthly data
- Ability to document data quality issues, log changes to data after submitted
- Ability to document/archive program level issues that impact upon data
- Integration with other m2m data sources
- Built in user help/troubleshooting option
2. Data Entry
- Simple data entry screens and prompts
- Improved check and data validation functions
- Option for multiple data entry locations with iincreased decentralization of data entry
- Data entry access in locations with limited internet access
- Ability to track who is entering and updating data
- Addition of new indicators in future; the source codes must remain with m2m for future changes or update to the software
- Ability to access and store other strategic information data sources in country
4. Data Reporting
- Customized report generation with flexible to use report generation at country and HQ level
- Ability for basic analysis in database
- Ability to develop static and flexible reports
- Ability to access online and offline reports
- Access to database by key users while maintaining security
- Data graphic dashboard displaying achievement towards targets
Interested applicants should submit their costed proposals to mothers2mothers via email to [email protected]
by 10 January 2014.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
If you do not hear from us after one month of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.