Millennium Promise is the leading international non-profit organization solely committed to supporting the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals to halve extreme poverty by 2015.
Its flagship initiative is the Millennium Villages Project (MVP), which highlights how integrated, community-led development, even in some of the poorest communities across rural sub-Saharan Africa, can lead to progress in achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and can provide communities with the basic tools and necessities to break out of poverty, on the path toward self-sustainable development.
Position Title: Business Development Coordinator
Reporting to the Team Leader, the Business Development Coordinator will be responsible for all aspects of Business planning, development, management and identifying enterprise opportunities across the Millennium Village site in Sauri – Gem Sub-county.
Terms of Reference
1) Through annual work plan and other periodical task plans: plan, manage, coordinate, and ensure achievement of performance targets for all business enterprise activities of the Project ;provide timely advice to the cooperative societies on business plans development and execution;
2) Design and implement micro-finance and other rural credit options to support the establishment and expansion of local enterprises;
3) Facilitate the evaluation of the trade areas of specialization taking into account natural and comparative advantage of the site to inform the priority crops and livestock enterprise opportunities;
4) Facilitate the identification and development of business ventures that have potential for income generation, facilitate product development and marketing through market chain analysis, intelligence and linkages;
5) Work closely with the Agriculture Coordinator to identify partnerships with business partners, including financial institutions and prospective market links, to promote collaboration and provision of services which will benefit the business development within the MVP site; and management; promotion of high value crops and livestock and the distribution of improved seeds
6) Identify and develop the skills of potential entrepreneurs, and guide them through the development and execution of business plans
7) Ensuing that cooperative businesses operate according to cooperative principles:
8) Provide market information and technical support to assist farmers and other community members to access new or enhanced market opportunities;
9) Plan and Monitor the strength of the various value chains;
10) Promote relationships with business partners, including with financial institutions to support the extension of credit to smallholder farmers; Design and implementation of micro-finance and other rural credit options to support the establishment and expansion of business enterprises.
11) Design and implement practical training programmes to build community capacity in business enterprises. Specific intervention focus will be on practical site and sector-specific training, introduction of innovative technology, entrepreneurship and communication;
12) Plan, manage, coordinate and ensure achievement of performance targets for all business enterprise activities of the Project implementation of project activities;
13) Implement M&E frameworks, systems, tools, consolidate results, identify gaps and corrective measures and propose timely corrective actions
14) Documentation of activities progress on regular basis; identifying new lessons learnt and promoting adoption of best practices;
15) Collaborate with local and national business, governments ministries, other stakeholders and actors (NGOs, CBOs etc.) on policies to support smallholder agriculture, promote business development, and improve economic growth and food production in the community
Qualifications and skills
- At least a MSc. in Business Administration, Agribusiness Development and Business Studies or any related field from a reputable, accredited and recognized university;
- 5 or more years working with communities, business groups, smallholder farmer groups and/or member based entities;
- Relevant experience in managing either cooperative societies, group savings and lending initiatives
- Highly motivated individual with exceptional organization skills and a good understanding of rural development;
Please send your application letter and curriculum vitae with three referees indicating salary
The Team Leader/Cluster Manager,
Millennium Villages Project,
P.O. Box 2389-40100,
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.