Mercy Corps Youth Enterprise Specialist Job in Eldoret, Kenya
The Yes Youth Can (YYC) initiative is a complimentary program funded by the USAID and was designed to empower Kenya’s youth population in areas recovering from the post-election violence in 2007/8, through building capacity of youth groups and organizations to engage with markets, governments and communities, and to pursue their legitimate needs and interests more effectively in a way that builds positive inter-ethnic networks.
General Position Summary:
Youth Enterprise Program Specialist is a senior level position with Mercy Corps Kenya.
The Youth Enterprise Program Specialist will work closely with the Chief of Party to implement the current YYC Rift Valley regional program Youth Investment fund component (Bunge SACCOs).
Essential Job Functions:
- Member of the YYC Central Program leadership team in partnership with Chief of Party and Country Director;
- Direct supervision and indirect supervision of Field Officer and SACCO chairpersons in the four Counties under the program.
- Provide technical insight and advice for economic empowerment programming especially on SACCO components , including loan products, membership recruitment, committee meetings, compliance and employment activities, combining experience with practical on-the-ground identification of opportunities and constraints
- Provide technical leadership in value chain/market analysis to identify opportunities for improved Loan products for the SACCOs and business opportunities for young people and other beneficiaries
- Provide technical leadership and management of County Youth Bunge SACCOs component across the YYC Program.
- Provide technical and management leadership of any small enterprise grants issued by the CBF to individual bunges
- Management and mentorship of local program staff and other partners namely the youth county boards, and County bunge SACCOs gradually transferring skills and capacities;
- Work with program staff on an ongoing basis to ensure smooth planning, preparation, implementation, and joint monitoring and evaluation of program activities and achievements towards program goals.
- Facilitate deliberate linkage of YYC economic empowerment mandate to respective County government ministries, projects and staff to ensure sustainability and ownership
- Participate in the YYC programs’ strategic development and way forward process
- Provide training and mentorship to MC staff on Enterprise Development and related strategies and applications
- Support other Mercy Corps programs towards the attainment of their respective PMPs.
- Represent Mercy Corps in related thematic working groups within the Counties
- Engage with Government of Kenya national and County Government departments on economic development initiatives in conjunction with the Chief of Party.
- Represent Mercy Corps in donor-driven forums/meetings in conjunction with the Chief of Party.
As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: Supervision of the Yes Youth Can, Field Officers.
Knowledge and Experience:
- MA/S or BA/S and compensatory work experience in Cooperative management business administration, economics/economic development, or international development;
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in international development;
- Technical expertise in youth economic empowerment, Microfinance including Savings and Credit Cooperative Societies general livelihoods and economic development
- Experience managing youth, micro-enterprise, community microfinance, job skills/employment, civic engagement, agricultural value-chains, program design and program M&E
- History of working effectively and respectfully with host government, NGOs, contractors and other partners;
- Ability to effectively convey programmatic goals, enlists partnerships, and work with a range of program and external stakeholders;
- Fluency in Kiswahili
- Innovative, decisive and inclusive leadership approach
- Creative and insightful as regards development programming including the relationships between youth development, economic empowerment, peace-building and reconciliation
- Excellent communication and team-building techniques
- Proven experience managing and building capacity of diverse teams (expatriate and national)
- Cultural knowledge, sensitivity and respect
- Commitment to oversee projects for their duration
- Ability to engage with strategic institutional partners as well as current and potential donors
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit on or before December 20, 2013 at 4.00 p.m a cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references( including a recent supervisor) to [email protected] .
Applicants must clearly indicate on the email subject: The position and location they are applying for, e.g “Youth Enterprise Specialist – Eldoret”