Mercy Corps Sub-Grant Officer Job in Thika Kenya
General Position Summary:
Essential Job Functions:
- Conduct sub-grantee pre-award assessments and recommend modifications to the sub-grant agreement and/or monitoring plan to lessen financial and compliance risks.
- Assist in the preparation and review of sub-grant agreements.
- Provide on-going training and support to sub-grantees in Mercy Corps sub-grant financial procedures and assist in conducting formal sub-grantee training workshops.
- Review sub grantee financial reports for correctness and completeness and ensure that reports are submitted on time.
- Assist in sub grantee site audits and prepare site visit reports.
- Follow up on all sub grant compliance issues and audits and document resolutions.
- Maintain sub grant tracking as well as financial files in accordance with the Field Finance Manual.
- Process sub-grantee payments and reconcile sub-grant financial tracking to general ledger reports.
- Assist in sub-grant close-outs ensuring that all requirements of the sub-grant agreement have been met and that sub-grant funds have been properly settled.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Accountability/Reports Directly To: Finance Director
Works Directly With: Finance Manager, Finance officers, Program Managers and other program and support staff in Thika office
Knowledge and Experience:
- Two or more years of finance experience, including budgeting and grant management or auditing
- A university degree in finance, accounting or a related business field is required.
- Two years’ experience in the Finance Department of an non-governmental organization
- Good understanding of major international donor rules and non-profit accounting
- Prior experience with computerized general ledger software
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and Access.
- Strong analytical skills coupled with a solid understanding of financial and procurement systems; Prior auditing experience is considered a plus
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
- A high professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
- The ability to effectively monitor sub-grantee compliance as well as to provide support and training for sub-grantee personnel is critical.
- The Sub-grant Compliance Officer must be willing to travel to Mercy Corps field offices, sub-grantee offices and project sites.
Applicants must clearly indicate on the email subject; The position and location they are applying for, e.g “Sub Grant officer -Thika” Applications without the right subject heading will be automatically disqualified. Please do not attach any certificates.