Mercy Corps Communications Officer Job in Eldoret Kenya
General Position Summary:
Essential Job Functions: Responsibilities
- Provide consistent, reliable, and meaningful communication to various stakeholders in audience-appropriate language and medium
- The Communications Officer works with the management team to develop and implement a communications strategy within the budgeted framework.
- Provide advice on crafting of relevant program messages and promoting them through established media channels and through direct communications with clients and partners.
- Ensure proper and correct messaging of the YYC Initiative by all staff from the bottom up
- Communications to various stakeholders with appropriate frequency and timing
- Produces program compelling news releases and newsletters in liaison with COP and Country Director.
- Maintains and updates further development of our Yes Youth Can website and online presence including the Youth social media.
- Oversee and supervise printing and design of publicity materials for YYC- Rift Valley.
- To keep attuned to the changes and updates needed on the website and other youth communication channels like face book, twitter etc.
- To write “Stories” of cases, individuals and projects to be used in various communications materials.
- Participate in planning films and videos on YYC Regional programs as well as formatting & editing Quarterly and Annual reports.
- Train a cohort of Youth from Bunges and Boards to be able to document and write their stories and share them.
- Compile the weekly report from the program Managers and submit to the COP.
- To undertake any other duties as assigned.
Education, Knowledge and Experience:
- The Communications Officer should have an educational background in public relations, journalism or marketing, but experience and demonstrated skill set will also be taken into consideration.
- Must have a Diploma, Bachelor’s Degree in Arts or Communications or other relevant degree.
- Experience and skills from previous employment are a plus.
- Must have good organizational, management and communications skills. In addition, must be able to develop communications strategies, and negotiate and collaborate with partners and outside teams such as printer, web team, film makers etc.
- Computer programs and tools the successful candidate should be familiar with:
- Ability to work effectively as part of team in a cross-cultural and politically sensitive setting.
- Professional communicator who can recognize a story and tell it in a compelling way to media, in newsletters, videos and online
- Should demonstrate a passion and a commitment to changing lives of others (especially the Youths) for the better and inspires others in that passion and commitment.
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
- Computer skills beyond e-mail and word processing. Some graphic design and publication design skills are necessary.
- Should be able to write interesting text to be used on the website, email newsletter, face book and other online communications.
- Writing must be grammatically correct and in good standard English
- Should be a dynamic team player and a collaborator with strong networking and negotiation skills.
- Must be ready to comply and live up to and in accordance with Mercy Corps Kenya ideals and values.
- Must have demonstrable good relational skills.
- Excellent communication and team-building techniques
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
- Demonstrated strong understanding of cultural and social environment in Central Province & Rift Valley.
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with other project personnel
- Strong computer and organizational skills
- Proactive, creative and problem-solver.
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit on or before December 13, 2013 at 4.00 p.m a cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references( including a recent supervisor) to [email protected] .
Applicants must clearly indicate on the email subject: The position and location they are applying for, e.g “Communications Officer-Eldoret”