Médecins Du Monde Outreach Worker Job in Kenya
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France.
General Description of the Role: The outreach worker is a field staff member who works in the community in close relation with the beneficiaries/target population (high risk drug users) of the project, community members and leaders, religious leaders, local authorities including administration and police, health care workers from public health facilities (hospitals, clinics, dispensaries)/NGOs (non-governmental organizations) and other MdM team.
Implementation of harm reduction activities in the DIC: daily outreach visits / Implementation of NSP activities / Implementation of DIC activities and creation of a peer network and then self-help/self-support groups / monthly workshop;
Close cooperation with medical teams to provide comprehensive and high quality care and education to beneficiaries: participation in committee for nutrition, ART and Methadone programs / data collection / participation in peer educators’ and volunteer peers’ training and follow up meeting / contribution to the development of IEC activities / participation in advocacy meetings and elaboration and implementation of advocacy strategy.
- Ability to work in the environment of drug users: knowledge on different types of drugs, drug markets and related consequences of drug use / non-judgemental attitude towards drug use and drug users / Ability to establish trust and communicate effectively with active drug users;
- Knowledge on HIV/AIDS and health issues related to drug use;
- Fluency in Kiswahili and English;
- Basic education : secondary school education completed;
- Knowledge on Harm reduction is a plus;
- Strong communication skills: ability to listen and share decisions
- Flexibility, Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, initiative
- Team spirit and motivation for the activities
- Respect of the confidentiality of beneficiaries