Mau Mau Memorial Design Competition Brief
Organized by: Mau Mau Memorial Steering Committee
Background: The Mau Mau War Veterans Association, assisted by KHRC and represented by the law firm of Leigh Day, reached an out of court settlement with the British Government, over torture committed during the colonial era in Kenya.
Description: The memorial design will integrate three components, which are referred to as: a memorial place, a memorial narrative, and public interaction.
- Site, Freedom Corner, Uhuru Park (precise location to be decided).
- Floor area, 100 sq.m to 120 sq.m maximum.
- Floor level, 50 cm minimum above ground.
- Open-air and minimum enclosure.
- A commemorative setting.
- Opening plaques (total 3- English, Kiswahili and Braille)
- Recognition plaque (1, English)
- Settlement plaques (total 8—English 4 and Kiswahili 4).
Visual narrative: Sculpture, mural and so on to symbolize reconciliation between the Mau Mau and the British Government
- Memorial attracts public attention.
- Memorial is used as an educational site.
- Memorial is used as a relaxation site.
- Memorial is memorable.
- A narrative of the proposed memorial design.
- Production drawings (plans, elevations sections), and technical specifications.
- 2-D and 3-D images. Soft copy, PDF(s) and 5 hard copies (A3 size).
- Cost estimate based on current construction costs and cost of the visual narrative item.
- Applicant(s) first and last names, gender, email and mobile number.
- Durability and minimum maintenance.
- All surfaces to withstand public space stress and weathering.
- Construction cost and cost of visual narrative item, not to exceed
- Shs. 9.5 million (memorial and sculpture)
- Compliance with NCC building code, as applicable.
- Winner: Shs.250, 000 and the commission to oversee the execution of the memorial.
- Runner-up: Shs.150, 000.
- Third place: Shs:100, 000.
Deadline: Submissions will be accepted through 14th January 2014.
Dispatching: Send soft copy of the submission, PDF(s), filename: MMM design competition, to: [email protected]
Send hard copy of the submission, package labelled: Mau Mau Memorial Design Competition, to:
City Hall, 1st Floor, Door 114
P.O Box 30075-00100,
All enquiries should be directed to the above email address.