Lutheran World Federation Jobs in Ali Sabieh, Djibouti
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Feb 20, 2014
Lutheran World Federation / Department for World Service Kenya – Djibouti Programme is seeking to recruit a Kenyan national for the following positions to be based in Ali Sabieh, Djibouti.
1. Sub Program Manager, Djibouti
The LWF World Service Djibouti Sub Program Manager (SPM) is based in Ali Sabieh, Djibouti, and is responsible for the overall management of the LWF World Service Djibouti Sub Program.
He/she report directly to the LWF World Service Kenya – Djibouti Program Coordinator (PC) in Nairobi or his/her designee.
- Responsible for the overall program management, financial management, administration, Human Resource, supervision and implementation of the LWF World Service Djibouti Sub Program, currently focused on Ali Addeh and Hol Hol refugee camps.
- To liaise and closely collaborate with the UNHCR, the Government of Djibouti and other NGOs, as well as refugee and community leaders. The SPM shall will ensure and promote a coordinated and participatory approach to project implementation (including participation in coordination meetings, workshops etc) and to work closely with the Program Unit in LWF World Service Nairobi.
- To maintain close collaboration and interaction with the heads of other agencies implementing activities in the in the same geographical and/or thematic areas.
- To ensure that appropriate systems, procedures and controls are in place and used in the effective management of human (staff), financial (funds) and physical (assets) resources.
- To oversee the proper maintenance of all programme accounts in accordance with the regulations and in liaison with the Finance Officers in Djibouti and in LWF Nairobi.
- To be responsible for the safety and security of all personnel and project assets and equipment.
- To ensure the project proposals, monitoring, evaluation and reporting are developed, finalized and submitted in accordance with the donor requirements / formats and within the relevant time frame, and in accordance with LWF World Service policies and guidelines.
- To act as the official representative of the LWF World Service in Djibouti in all official and public functions including hosting important visitors.
- To keep the Program Management Team in LWF World Service Nairobi updated, advised and informed in a timely manner on all aspects of the work.
- To assume other responsibilities as may be assigned to him / her by the supervisor or designate.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Relevant university degree (management, finance, development studies or other relevant field).
- Professional training in M&E and/or Project Management is an advantage.
- At least 5 year’s experience in a senior management position in an international organization involved in development and/or humanitarian work.
- Experience of working with refugees or internally displaced persons in East Africa is an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in managing partnerships and coordinating complex and sensitive projects.
- Experience of working in relation to UN agencies like UNHCR, WFP or UNICEF is an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in project management including general knowledge and understanding of international donors’ policies and procedures, monitoring and evaluation of projects in accordance to the set and agreed upon standards.
- Dynamic leader with creative problem-solving skills, particularly in challenging situations; cultural sensitivity and adaptability.
- High degree of integrity and professional responsibility with a commitment to results
- Strong communication skills are required
- Awareness of the general political, economic and development dynamics of the region. Strong organizational and management skills.
- Commitment to train national staff and communities to increase their capacity for self-help and development
- Good computer skills.
- Experience of Education in Emergencies (EiE), Sustainable Livelihoods programming and/or Community Services in refugee work are added advantages.
- Fluency in English and good working knowledge of spoken and written French are key requirements. Knowledge of other relevant languages is an advantage (Somali, Afar, Arabic)
2. Community Development Officer
He/she will work to improve the proper operations, management and improvement of the community services and child protection in both Ali Addeh and Hol Hol camps.
The incumbent will report directly to the Sub Program Manager, while working closely on a daily basis in collaboration with other sectors of LWF.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning, implementation and co-ordination of LWF World Service Community Services and Child Protection activities in Ali Addeh and Hol Hol refugee camps.
- Facilitating the development of comprehensive Community services and development sectors proposals.
- Facilitate accurate and timely planning processes within Community Services and Development of comprehensive unit objectives, activities, outputs and targets, procurement plans and budget proposals.
- Implementing planned and funded activities under CS&D sector.
- Provide technical expertise for the Child Protection and Development project planning, implementation, coordination, monitoring, reporting and evaluation.
- Produce accurate, detailed and timely narrative reports and submitted in accordance to donor formats
- Carrying out frequent field and community level visits and meetings with refugee leaders and committees
- Responsible for drawing clear and specific CS&D staff job descriptions reflecting their position and roles
- Providing overall team leadership to Community Services and Development project officers and assistant officers
- Identification of training and development needs for community services and development staff.
- Inducting and facilitating orientation of new staff under CS&D sector in the operations falling under CS&D
- A degree in law and human rights from a recognized university is the preferred qualification.
- A degree in social sciences studies or specific relevant discipline would also be considered.
- Proven training in project development and implementation.
- Proven academic or on-job training and understanding of the Project Cycle model in managing humanitarian assistance.
- At least 3 years of progressive experience in child protection and development or humanitarian program.
- Experience gained within an international humanitarian NGO in Djibouti or similar environment will be an added advantage.
- Experience in proposal and report writing, and practical experience of using the Project Cycle tool in the humanitarian sector.
- Knowledge of working French – written and spoken a mandatory
- Strong representation and negotiation skills in working with UN organizations, partner agencies (NGO) and coordinating activities in a multi- sectoral setup.
- Working knowledge and experience of humanitarian principles, laws and standards.
- Experience in Training of Trainers/Facilitators skills (TOT & TOF).
- Excellent Computer skills.
- High level of integrity, commitments and professional responsibility.
- Strong inters- personal and team building skills.
- Ability to tolerate cultural, education and religious diversity in the work place.
- Excellent communication, organization and presentation skills.
“LWF/DWS is an equal opportunity employer, irrespective of gender, race or religious affiliation.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
LWF/DWS is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for humanitarian agencies.
Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect the organization’s commitment to the prevention of abuse and exploitation of beneficiaries.”
Please email your application letter and attach updated CV with contact emails and phone numbers of 3 professional referees, preferably your current or immediate former employer addressed to;
The Human Resources Officer,
Lutheran World Federation Kenya-Djibouti,
Lutheran World Federation Kenya-Djibouti,
Closing date: 5th March 2014
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted