Kimetrica Senior GIS Application Developer and Programmer Job in Nairobi, Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Mar 21, 2014
Senior GIS Application Developer and Programmer
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Party (FEWS NET TSC) and under the technical supervision of the Head of Software Development, the Senior GIS Application Developer is responsible for developing a major online software project with significant GIS and geo-spatial analysis components.
In addition, the GIS Application Developer will develop data structures, methods and services that allow effective data management and integration with other data sources using Data Warehouse principles and PostgreSQL/PostGIS.
The software is used for early warning and disaster management globally. The
Specific tasks include:
- Research appropriate methodologies, technologies and approaches
- Understand user requirements and define use cases
- Provide substantial inputs into the application design and architecture and documentation
- Lead project management and ensure delivery using a combination of Prince II methodologies
- Develop GIS and geo-spatial processing functionality, primarily in a dot NET environment and or using ESRI products
- Liaise with statistical and geo-spatial analysts and subject specialists to develop analytical algorithms
- Development of clean, intuitive and effective GUIs
- Create visualizations of spatial data using thematic maps (choropleth, proportional symbols, dot distribution, etc.)
- Supervise in-house and outsourced development contracts as required and assist in the identification of additional talent
- Develop data structures, methods and services that allow effective data management and integration with other data sources using Data Warehouse principles and PostGRES
- Liaise with Kimetrica’s Software Development Service to ensure full consistency of approaches and to leverage in-house resources where necessary
- Present to Kimetrica staff and clients and regular communication with project stakeholders
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, Computer Science, Planning or related field preferred
- A minimum of five (5) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, programming experience in .NET C# and/or Java
- Expert knowledge of spatial databases using PostgreSQL 9.3 and PostGIS 2.0 or 2.1
- Knowledge of web services/service-oriented architecture (SOA) standards including Representational State Transfer (REST), Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP), web service description language (WSDL), extensible markup language (XML), AJAX, and related technologies/standards required.
- Ability to develop approaches to debugging and optimizing code in a complex multi-tiered environment
- Programming with ESRI ADFs (ArcObjects, ArcGIS APIs for web development) and designing, implementing, or working with ArcGIS Server Enterprise.
- At least two (2) years of experience in database development and strong knowledge of Data Warehouse design and methods
- Strong analytical skills including a knowledge of geo-statistics and an ability to write complex algorithms in code
- Sound knowledge of version control systems, preferably git
- Uncompromising commitment to quality control and attention to detail
- Ability to work remotely and with minimal supervision if required
- Strong English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Proven project management experience and specifically experience of AGILE/SCRUM
- Willingness to travel to Kenya and/or the US for periods of 1 – 2 weeks
Terms and Conditions:
- Contract will be deliverable based
- Fun, friendly and stimulating working environment
- Ideally, based in US or Kenya or with frequent travel to the other location, but remote work will be considered
To apply, please send a cover letter and CV to [email protected] Please put in the subject line of your e-mail: Senior GIS Application Developer/Programmer
Applications by Friday, 25th April
We will contact only eligible candidates to further discuss their availability.
Kimetrica LLC’s mission is to improve the quality and accountability of service delivery in the non-profit sector through the provision of affordable knowledge management tools, data, and training services. We help governments, international organizations, NGOs and community organizations make decisions based on the best available information.
Typically, our clients have specialized information needs that go beyond the capabilities of conventional business intelligence and management information tools. Kimetrica provides bespoke solutions to organizations with missions that are bigger than just making profits, and who need to know more than just the bottom line. Much of our work focuses on measuring performance for complex projects and on managing risk in highly unstable and disaster-prone environments.