Kenyan Jobs – Oxfam Regional Media and Communications Advisor Job in Kenya
Category: NGO Jobs in Kenya
Posted: May 9, 2013
Regional Media and Communications Advisor
Contract Type: Open ended
Level: C1 – Global
Salary Range: GBP 25,094- 33,938 (take home pay) per annum; Oxfam will meet the tax and social security liabilities of the post holder in addition to the net salary.
A competitive benefits package will be offered to the successful candidate including housing, pension, and medical among others.
Are you an excellent communications professional with expert knowledge of traditional and new media, development and humanitarian issues, and an ability to use communications for campaigning and influencing?
Are you able to strategically use media and communications to bring change for impoverished and marginalized communities in the Horn, East and Central Africa? If so this job is for you!
Oxfam is one of the world’s leading humanitarian agencies assisting people affected by poverty, natural disasters and conflict throughout the world.
With over 5,000 staff and dedicated volunteers in more than 90 countries, Oxfam is able to achieve the greatest impact to alleviate poverty and suffering through combining emergency response work, long-term development programmes, and campaigning for lasting change.
The Horn, East, and Central Africa (HECA) region is the largest region within Oxfam, covering ten countries including Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda.
The Regional Centre is based in Nairobi and provides leadership and strategic support to the Oxfam country programmes.
- Design and implement a regional media and communications strategy to help bring change on core Oxfam issues, support global and national campaigns, highlight Oxfam’s development and humanitarian work, and raise funds.
- Work with country teams, regional programmes and civil society partners to develop media strategies, build their capacity for engagement, and identify opportunities and new story angles.
- Maximise the impact of materials and opportunities by linking national, regional and global initiatives and resources.
- Maintain relationships and partnerships with journalists, media outlets and bloggers, and respond to media enquiries.
- Come up with creative ways to generate media interest. Develop and drive Oxfam’s digital communications
- strategy in the region, exploring new ways to get messages across using social media, online platforms and mobile technology, and supporting country teams and partners to develop and maximise their use of digital and multimedia technology.
- You will oversee the implementation of the internal communications strategy and supervise the Regional Information and communications officer.
We need an exceptional communications professional with considerable experience of working in international media, communications or public relations roles, ideally in Africa or the HECA region.
The candidate must have experience of the key responsibilities, including working with media, developing and delivering communications strategies, managing internal communications, knowledge of digital media, and building capacity and creating networks.
The candidate must show demonstrable impact in using communications as a tool for social change.
If you think you can deliver in this role please read the full job description and submit your application and CV including a day time contact by applying online at http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what-we-do/about-us/working-at-oxfam Using INT6207
A detailed job profile can also be accessed from the link above.
The closing date is 19th May 2013.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization.