Kenya Red Cross Legal Officer Job Vacancy
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Jan 16, 2014
Kenya Red Cross Society is one of the largest humanitarian organizations in Kenya. Its mission is to be the leading humanitarian organization in Kenya delivering excellent quality service of preventing and Alleviating Human Suffering.
The Society is looking for qualified persons to fill the following positions:
Position Title: Legal Officer
Job location: HQ
The role is responsible for the effective and efficient management of the Legal department, provision of legal advisory services and ensuring effective management of legal and contractual risks.
- Provide leadership and ensure efficient and effective management of staff and resources in the Legal department.
- Review and provide legal advice on tender documents.
- Review ongoing cases and advice management accordingly.
- Liaise with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
- Provide legal protection and risk management advice to management especially on contract management.
- In collaboration with the internal audit, overseeing KRCS legal risk management programs for the entire system, including its non-profit and for-profit subsidiaries;
- recommending and assisting in the development policies, procedures and systems pertaining to risk management issues
- Leading various KRCS compliance initiatives; participating in the development, implementation and oversight of the corporate compliance program to facilitate the prevention of fraud and abuse and to promote the mission and values of KRCS.
- Provide and interpret legal information, conduct training and disseminate appropriate legal requirements to staff.
- Review and advice management on legal implications of internal policies and procedures.
- Review and draft contracts, agreements and internal policies and ensure that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements.
- Review progress of outstanding litigation and liaise with and manage external lawyers.
- Advising the organization and related entities on the litigation risks of possible business decisions, providing preventive counseling with respect to the legal risks associated with business practices, and developing strategy with both inside and outside counsel in response to civil litigation and regulatory inquiries.
- Formulate compliance check-lists to be used for the purpose of ensuring that all information required is provided accordingly.
- Continuously monitor compliance with statutory obligations and advise senior management accordingly.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports for the department for senior management meetings.
- Review all contracts or any other documentation where the organization and related entities are parties to and assess legal implications that need to be brought to the attention of the Senior Management.
- Prepare, review and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities.
- Negotiate, review and draft documentation for business transactions and prepare and advise on the necessary checklist to be adopted to ensure information is submitted on time.
- LLB undergraduate degree;
- A Masters degree will be an added advantage; and
- Must be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- At least five years legal experience ideally in a leading organisation, with a proven track record in contract negotiation and drafting;
- Good knowledge of the work of the Red Cross in Kenya.
- Proven track record of providing accurate and effective legal counsel;
- Proven track record of adding value to an organization through the development of comprehensive contract documents that mitigate risk and penalties.
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience with, laws dealing with government and/or commercial contract administration, particularly contract negotiation, preparation and administration;
- Ability to provide independent advice (orally and in writing) to senior level management on highly technical matters;
- Demonstrate success in managing and conducting a variety of litigation matters;
- Excellent interpersonal and effective communication skills necessary for interaction with the Government of Kenya, the Judicial system and negotiating parties and the senior management team of the society;
Applications should be sent to the following address to be received on or before Friday, 24th January, 2014.
Kenya Red Cross Society
P.O. Box 40712-00100,
Kenya Red Cross Society
P.O. Box 40712-00100,