Kenya Market Trust Portfolio Manager (Media) Job in Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Mar 5, 2014
Kenya Market Trust (KMT) is a non-governmental organisation (NGO) whose vision is to enable the sustainable transformation of markets for the benefit of the poor.
This involves working in partnership to facilitate improved functioning of markets and to build capacity to make markets work better.
There is widespread agreement that the best way to improve the economic conditions of the poor is through improving the functioning of markets.
KMT uses the M4P methodology to facilitate “better markets, better lives”.
Job Title: Portfolio Manager – Media
Reports to: Senior Portfolio Manager – Media
The incumbent is expected to promote improved flow of information between players within the various market systems that we support, thereby supporting and enhancing the effectiveness of the market strengthening the agenda.
He/ She will be expected to support selected media houses to effectively play their role as key influencers by demonstrating the need to produce and air content that is audience-focused and builds listener numbers; hence advertising and sponsorship revenue.
The Portfolio Manager will be expected to:
- Continually seek out stakeholders in the media system and strive to create mutually beneficial partnerships between both parties.
- Determine the relevance of information available to audiences that is significant to KMT’s mandate through effective coordination and management of research.
- Participate in strategy development activities relating to the Market Assistance Programme (MAP) implementation in respect to media engagement.
- Work with the senior manager to operationalise the strategy by defining, recruiting, training and overseeing the support team and by liaising with sector teams regarding their information and media engagement needs.
- Support media outlets in reaching target audiences and in generating content that is audience driven and has the capacity to change practices, thereby contributing to increased income levels across the target audiences.
- Undertake accurate assessments of the capacity of media outlets and relevant market actors/ service providers to create effective business linkages that are of mutual benefit to them and that ultimately drive behaviour change; hence income growth for the target communities.
- Develop interventions that close the gaps that are unearthed during such assessments.
- Execute these interventions through effective planning, budgeting, assigning responsibilities to the support team, monitoring effectiveness and putting remedial plans in place where necessary.
- Prepare reports on outcomes and lessons learned and share them both within and outside KMT.
- Use the lessons learnt to improve on-going interventions and to design improved interventions ones going forward.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Media studies, Journalism, Marketing or other related field.,
- A solid understanding of the operations of media in Kenya, preferably acquired through three or more years of relevant experience within the media sector.
- A solid understanding of the operations of media in Kenya
- Full appreciation of the application of the media to development work.
- A high level of computer proficiency. Familiarity with real-time communications and outreach using ICT tools would be a plus.
- Knowledge in developing communication approaches, tools and methodologies.
Send your application including a cover letter indicating your desire to work with our client; a detailed CV highlighting relevant experience, details of current and expected salary, a daytime phone contact, email address, and the names of three professional referees to:
P.O Box 6416, Nairobi, GPO 00100
E-mail: [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contracted
Closing date: Monday 17th March 2014.