KEMRI Wellcome Trust Research Programme Head of Communication Job in Kenya
Job Ref: MN 5928
Our client, KEMRI – Wellcome Trust Research Programme based in Kilifi and Nairobi wishes to recruit a suitable person to fill the above position:
Covering internal communications (leadership of intranet and other internal initiatives) and external relations with international, national, county and local health-related public and private stakeholders, including developing advocacy strategies with key organisations.
- Lead and manage the communication and advocacy strategy for the Programme:
- Providing overall coordination and managing capacity building for other staff working on communication at the centre; including the project communication and media officers, community liaison managers, MOH-KEMRI liaison manager.
- Leading Internal communications through the further development of the intranet and other tools; and coordinating all branding at the Programme.
- Managing content for the Programme website, intranet and all electronic/social media; ensuring that this is kept up-to-date and relevant
- Engaging with national partner organisations and sponsors to build activities with their communication officers.
- Developing active International networks to promote public engagement in science through collaboration with science related institutions and funders, including the Wellcome Trust, UK
- Engaging local, national and international media, including newspapers, magazines, radio, TV, websites, documentaries and inputs to existing public for a for health and science.
- Including the development of a media engagement and management plan
- Supporting research into practice by developing materials and mechanisms (with scientists) to disseminate summaries of research and research findings.
- Developing and coordinating networking Initiatives with science related groups and Institutions at national and international levels.
- Advanced University Degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations; or equivalent professional work experience in the communication area combined with university degree in a related field.
- 5-10 years of experience in managing communication.
- Demonstrated skill in programme communication, development of information, Education and communication material, documentation and publication (Including web-based documentation).
- Knowledge of current theories and practices in communication research, planning and strategy, and the role of mass media.
- Analytical and conceptual skills to think and plan strategically.
- Skills and experience in communication programmes, monitoring, review and evaluation.
- Proven ability to effectively manage relationships with media representatives, government officials and community groups.