KEMRI / CDC Program Job in Kisumu Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Oct 22, 2013
KEMRI / CDC Program Assistant Research Officer Job in Kisumu Kenya
KEMRI / CDC Program
Program Description: This program is collaboration between Kenya Medical Research Institute and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention whose remit is to conduct research in malaria, HIV and other diseases.
It is in this mandate that the Malaria Branch, iMSaT study has a vacancy for Assistant Research Officer to be based at Kisian Malaria Laboratories.
Position: Assistant Research Officer
Reporting To: Malaria Research Lab supervisor and Laboratory Manager
Education: Bachelors Degree in Biomedical sciences or relevant field from a recognized institution.
Experience: 6 months experience working in a busy clinical/research laboratory.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Experience in performing malaria molecular & serological diagnosis tests and their related quality assurance/control measures.
- Experience in malaria parasite drug resistance and genotyping tests.
- Must have hands on experience in cell and malaria parasite cultures.
- Good knowledge of laboratory documentation, record keeping and inventory management.
- Basic computer application skills.
- Hard working, diligent and ready to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Good problem solving skills, awareness of own limitations and strong personal motivation.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities
- Perform all aspects of Malaria Research laboratory work necessary to support clinical diagnostic and epidemiological research
- Ensure adequate quality assurance procedures are maintained with respect to samples processing, reagent preparations and equipment use.
- Assist in the supervision of laboratory lab technologists/technicians and ensure that proper operational procedures and laboratory safety precautions are maintained.
- Participate in the development, reviewing and implementation of Malaria laboratory SOPs.
- Participate in sample and record archiving and maintain clear records of the same.
- Participate in regular training such as good clinical and laboratory practice (GCLP), laboratory safety, quality control and other relevant training to maintain acceptable standards of laboratory operation.
- Maintain highest standards of ethics, confidentiality and professionalism in the conduct of laboratory duties.
- Carry out any other duties that may be assigned by the Laboratory Supervisor and Director
Terms of Employment:
Contract for 1 year, renewable as per KEMRI scheme of service.
Probation period for the first 3 months.
Remuneration: Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on education levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency.
The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI scales plus supplemental amounts.
Applications should include the following:
- Letter of Application (Indicate Vacancy Number)
- Current Resume or Curriculum Vitae with Telephone number and e-mail address
- Three letters of reference with contact telephone numbers
- Copies of Certificates, or Transcripts
- Day time contact telephone number
Note: Applications must include copies of certificates, Diplomas and Transcripts. Applications without this will be disregarded.
Due no later than 1st November 2013
Human Resource Manager,
P.O. Box 1578,
OR email to [email protected]
or log into our web www.jobs.cdckemri.org
Internal candidates interested in applying for this position are strongly advised to access an internal candidate application form available in the CDC Intranet; print and process it through the Project Managers and attach it before forwarding application to HR.
The KEMRI/CDC Program is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process including, application, interview meeting and processing of offer letter. If asked for a fee, report such a request immediately to: 0701112145
Only short listed candidates will be contacted