KEMRI Careers Kenya – Finance Assistant Director and Legal Officer
The main responsibility will be to oversee timely and accurate preparation of accounting and financial management information necessary to control income and expenditure as well as meet internal, statutory and donor reporting requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provision of leadership and mentorship in finance,
- Development, implementation and monitoring of a robust financial procedures and regulations in conformity with international financial reporting standards,
- Formulation, control and coordination of financial procedures and regulations in conformity with relevant Government laws and regulations,
- Development and implementation of prudent internal accounting and financial checks and controls,
- Development and management of internal budgetary controls in collaboration with other departments within the Institute,
- Budgetary planning with MTEF in liaison with line government Ministries and relevant sectors,
- Preparation of financial quarterly/annual reports in line with the Public Service Performance contracting guidelines.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting/finance: CPA (K) or equivalent,
- MBA/MSc (Accounts/Finance), Diploma in Health Service Administration, experience in Public Sector Accounts and Finance Management are added advantages,
- Minimum of seven (7) years experience in Accounts and Finance in a large organization with an annual budget of over Ksh. 2 billion,
- Not less than five (5) years experience in a senior Managerial position,
- Between 30 to 50 years of age,
- In-depth knowledge in computerized accounting and financial software applications,
- Membership of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya.
- Ability to represent the Institute at a senior level in a professional manner with tact and diplomacy at National and International levels,
- Strong writing and oral communication skills,
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Team player with the ability to work with multi-disciplinary/multi-cultural stakeholders,
- Ability to work on multiple tasks with tight deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provision of sound legal advice to the Management of the Institute and staff thereof,
- Drawing and ensuring of proper execution of contracts/MOUs by authorized signatories,
- Drafting and lodging in relevant registries conveyancing documents for the Institute,
- Register title documents for the Institute’s properties and ensure that all properties are properly accounted for,
- Liaise with external lawyers to facilitate collection and preparation of information related to court cases and court hearings,
- Represent the Institute in court cases,
- Ensure the Institute meets its legal obligations,
- Formulate policies that are in line with the Institutes mandates and day to day running.
- Holder of a Bachelor of Laws degree from a recognized University,
- Be an Advocate of High Court of Kenya with current practicing certificate,
- Have three (3) years post-admission experience in civil, labour and criminal law,
- Be conversant with the Public Procurement and Disposal Act and Regulations,
- Have experience in contract negotiations and drafting,
- Be a person of integrity with high morals and ethical values.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted