WHO Job Vacancy Nairobi Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya, Healthcare Jobs in Kenya, NGO Jobs in Kenya, United Nations Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Aug 28, 2013
WHO National Professional Officer (EPI Logistician) Job in Nairobi Kenya
World Health OrganizationThe mission of WHO is the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health.
Vacancy Notice No: KEN/VN/2013/008
Title: National Professional Officer – EPI Logistician
Contract type: SSA/Consultant
Duration of contract: Twelve Months
Date: August 2013
Application Deadline: 16 September, 2013
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Terms of Reference:
Under the supervision of the WHO Country Representative of Kenya and the guidance of the WHO Country EPI Team Leader, the incumbent will provide technical leadership and coordination of technical support to the national Immunization programme (DVI) and Division of Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) for strengthening the national Cold Chain and Logistics system in order to achieve Routine Immunization and Accelerated disease Surveillance Targets.
The incumbent will work in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health’s Division of Vaccines and Immunization (DVI), Division of Disease Surveillance and Response (DDSR) Units and partners to develop / update country strategies, tools and guidance on CCL policies, procedures and systems to meet the minimum standards in relation to:
- Equipment used in the CCL system
- Vaccine stock management and monitoring
- Vaccine distribution
- Temperature monitoring
- Cold Chain rehabilitation and expansion
- Quality control of vaccines storage and utilization for routine and campaigns
Under the direct guidance of the WHO/EPI Team Leader, the incumbent performs the following duties:-
- Provide technical support on Effective Vaccine Management (EVM) Assessments in preparations for new vaccine introduction;
- After EVM assessment, support to develop strategic cold chain and logistics Improvement Plans (IPs) as well as the implementation and monitoring of the IPs;
- Support government to conduct cold chain inventories and develop cold chain upgrade, expansion and replacement plans as well as support and monitor the implementation of the plans with regular update to the Regional Office & Headquarters;
- Assist counties with CCL equipment selection, with the re-design of their CCL systems;
- Support and track the implementation of new vaccine introduction plan focusing on activities related to cold chain and vaccine management in priority countries;
- Support counties to use appropriate tools for regularly monitoring vaccine stocks and temperatures at all levels;
- Request for and analyze stock management tools (SMT) and other vaccine management tools from countries on monthly basis and provide technical support to prevent vaccine and supplies stock-out and wastage;
- Support county teams to build technical capacity for national and sub-national CCL Officers in vaccine and cold chain management;
- Coordinate all operations and logistic support for the polio control room and outbreak response activities. The position will lead in the coordination of all operations and logistic support with GOK and partners;
- Assist the Response Coordinator in budget preparation, preparation of work plans, programme implementation, monitoring and reporting;
- Set up and maintain a database/monitoring system to enable keeping track of the projects cycle and facilitate projects execution;
- Maintain contacts and liaise with relevant international organizations present in the country, as needed;
- Identify and propose remedies in time for the projects implementation constraints;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the WHO Country Representative.
- University degree in physical sciences or engineering or Advanced degree in a related area of study.
- Equivalent educational qualification in relevant areas (logistics operations/management, supply management) will be an asset.
- A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications may be accepted in lieu of the university degree.
Desirable: Exposure to Effective Vaccine Management courses is an added advantage.
Essential: Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience with extensive hands-on equivalent field experience in logistics, supply chain and/or vaccine management.
- Sales/marketing experience in private sector, or experience in institutional procurement of cold chain and waste management products.
- Experience in immunisation logistics, supply chain and vaccine management will be an added advantage
Languages: Fluency in English and a working knowledge of Kiswahili;
Other Skills (e.g. IT)
- Good knowledge and ability to use computer software for word-processing, spread-sheets and basic epidemiological and statistical analyses;
- demonstrated abilities for team-work.
Quoting the vacancy notice number, Application letter and latest Curriculum Vitae should be sent to:
P.O. Box 45335, 00100
P.O. Box 45335, 00100
Attention: Operations Officer
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for interview.