Jacaranda Health Research Assistant Job in Kenya
As we are building our network of maternity hospitals, we have launched one clinic in Nairobi in 2012, are opening a second one by the early 2014, and are in the process of launching two more in other locations in the region.
Job Summary: Jacaranda is seeking a Research Assistant (RA)to report to our Program Manager for Research and Evaluation. This individual will work closely with the Program Manager to evaluate maternal and newborn health programs.
- Collecting and organizing data
- Conducting data entry
- Ensuring data quality
- Working with Program Manager to improve and refine data collection and entry tools.
Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities
- Arrive to work promptly and reliably
- Interact with community members with the highest level of integrity and understanding
- Collect data through household surveys, academic tests, exit interviews, focus groups and observations
- Collaborate with colleagues to improve one another’s data collection skills and the project’s data collection tools
- Take careful notes in order to improve data collection tools and methods
- Work with the Project Associate to implement improvements to data collection tools and methods
- Conduct data entry using computer and mobile phones
- Attend to other administrative duties as assigned
- Bachelors’ degree or college diploma/certificate
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Kiswahili
- Experience with data collection through household or phone surveys, exit interviews, focus groups or observations
- Ability to recognize when questions are difficult or unclear to subjects
- Excellent note taking ability during interviews and focus groups
- Willingness to travel within Nairobi
- Comfortable with interviewing individuals in a variety of locations
- Experience analyzing hospital records on drug and immunization availability
- Experience with all data collection methods mentioned above
- Experience with pilot studies, especially related to improving data collection tools
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS Excel in particular) and Google products; familiarity with database management programs is a plus; (Shortlisted applicants will be tested on practical Excel higher level functions and formulas)
- High attention to detail and analytical skills required
- Proactive, self-motivated and team-oriented; able to multi-task effectively
- Dependable and upholding highest level of honesty and confidentiality
Only applicants that have completed the online form as well as submitted their CV will be considered.