IRC Senior Finance Officer Job in Nairobi, Kenya
The Senior Finance Officer is responsible for budgeting and budget management, focal point for Kakuma and Lodwar field offices, review of payments documentations, tax and statutory deductions, cash flow management and various account analysis.
Field Office Management
- Financial focal person for Nairobi, Eastleigh
- Monitor cash balances in the field offices to ensure adequate reserves at all times
- Ensuring that the field submit their cash forecast by 25th of every month
- Verification of all field documents providing prompt feedback and follow-up on any issues noted
- Ensure spreadsheets and hard copy documents are received by the 30th (except fiscal and calendar year-ends).
- Ensuring that Nairobi and Eastleigh bank reconciliations are complete and correct.
- Process monthly currency clearing and balance sheet revaluation journals
- Perform monthly housekeeping procedures in Sun System
- Loading of month end journals by the stipulated timeline to ensure timely submission of SAF file by the 12th of every month
- Ensure that all month and journals are fully signed and sequentially filed
- Ensuring that a SUN back up is taken, sent to field sites and a copy stored in the safe and a copy posted on the FTP site once NY loads the SAF file.
- Ensure any adjusting journal are FULLY supported and approved by FC before passing to SUN system
- Reconcile timesheet coding loaded in SUN Vs. Actual Timesheets
- Circulate to all staff the timesheet coding and update Human Resource with % allocations to charge on timesheet upon commencement of new grants.
- Maintain a schedule with donor reporting timelines
- Ensure all grants are closed in a timely manner and that all financial reports are submitted on time. Follow the finance manual to be in full compliance with IRC’s requirements.
- Assist in the preparation of operating and grant budgets
- Assist in updating the operating budget Assist in updating the operating budget
- Maintaining all donor files well labeled, fully updated with contracts, reports submitted, governing clauses all other relevant documents, liaise with administration officer to ensure that the CD’s office has copies of the same.
- Prepare and upload T2s for all new budgets
- Attend all Grant Opening and Closing Meetings as designated
- Update Monthly Budget Vs Actual reports for sites Finance Memo and prepare corrective journals relating to the BvA’s.
- Review accruals at grant closure and prompt liquidation of these.
- Undertake pre-assessment reviews to determine capacity needs of sub-grantees
- Monitor sub-grant reporting and undertake verification of reported expenditure
- Upload sub-grant financial reports
- Verify correct coding of expenditure on all payment requests, Purchase Orders and Purchase Requests.
- Ensure completeness and accuracy of supporting documents attachment on payment requests
- Ensure adherence to the delineation chart for all authorizations on payment and purchase requests
- Oversee the payment turn-over period to avoid delays in handling requests submitted to finance
- Oversee proper and systematic filing of all payment requests
- Oversee the maintenance of an accurate and updated cash flow report. Get updates from the Finance assistant weekly
- Work closely with the finance assistant to ensure that the sufficiency of bank reserves at all times for all Nairobi bank accounts.
- Ensuring that all banks are immediately updated on changes to bank signatories. Update the bank information folder on F drive
- Oversee bank correspondences. Liaise with Finance Assistant.
- Provide periodic finance training to program staff, sub-grantees and key stakeholders
- Review of financial data submitted by the field to identify weaknesses or problems being encountered by field finance staff and recommend corrective action.
- Make frequent field visits and work with the program manager to ensure grant implementation is on course.
- To be willing and ready to participate in field staff exchange programs as organized by the FM.
- To be the contact person in the dept for all bank correspondences. Liaise with Assistant Accountant.
- Ensuring donor regulations are adhered to for all aspects of the operations
- Regular and open communication with IRC staff from all departments.
- A bachelor’s degree in Finance/Business Administration with minimum CPA II qualification;
- At least three years of finance and accounting experience in a similar post;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software. SUN System accounting is an added advantage;
- Ability to work independently in a rapidly changing professional environment with a view towards establishing administrative procedures and protocol that will ensure optimal functioning of the operation;
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills;
- Ability to work in and as a team.