IPA Implementation Coordinator Job in Western Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Feb 13, 2014
Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) Benefits Project
Position: Implementation Coordinator
Deadline to Apply: Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis, final deadline Feb 28th, 2014
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Location: Western Kenya
Eligibility: This position is open to all applicants
Currently in the midst of a five-year study, WASH Benefits is collecting rigorous evidence on the health impacts of improved water, sanitation and hygiene practices, alongside improved nutrition in rural Kenya.
Low-cost technologies and behavior change communications strategies are being implemented to promote drinking water treatment, good sanitation practices, handwashing with soap and improved nutrition.
The position offers an opportunity to help design and manage several facets of behavior change program in an organization undertaking cutting-edge public health and development research.
This position is located in Western Kenya, and the principal investigators (PI) are Clair Null and Michael Kremer.
The Implementation Coordinator will work closely with senior project management and staff to perform a variety of tasks across two offices (Kakamega and Bungoma) including, but not limited to:
- Develop and supervise implementation of systems related to the behavior change and intervention delivery programs including: development/modification of behavior change materials, standard operating procedures (SOP), process documentation, tracking systems, and monitoring of staff performance
- Keep senior management (managers, directors and PIs) appraised of all key developments related to intervention delivery and behavior change activities, including provision of written reports
- Directly supervise two Implementation Project Associates and provide mentorship to all staff involved in behavior change and intervention delivery activities, including holding regular meetings and coordinating trainings (this will necessitate an average of one day per week spent in the other office)
- Coordinate and oversee logistical planning for behavior change related activities (re-training, communication, and supervision of local promoters, etc.) and intervention delivery activities (monitoring hardware inventory and planning for re-supply) by tracking progress of activities and working with supervisors to determine when corrective action is needed in order to ensure that implementation is consistent with approved SOPs and project objectives
- Liaise with data collection and data management team to interpret analyzed data and follow up accordingly
- Provide projections, and basic oversight of financial accounting related to implementation activities
- Participate in the HR oversight process and provide recommendations to senior management on all aspects of HR for the behavior change and intervention delivery teams
- Closely coordinate with Data Management, Data Collection and Logistics & Procurement personnel
The WASH Benefits project will be spread over a relatively large geographic area, so willingness to travel and ability to manage across project sites is essential. The Implementation Coordinator will be based in Kakamega.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a relevant field such as Public Health, Nutrition, Economics, or other Social Sciences
- At least two years of project management experience, preferably a large scale project in a developing country
- Excellent management, organizational, critical thinking and interpersonal skills
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
- Demonstrated experience with quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Strong written and oral communication skills and complete fluency in English is required. Kiswahili proficiency is preferred.
- Experience working on WASH and/or nutrition issues in developing countries (particularly sub-Saharan Africa)
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Applications must be submitted by email to [email protected] . Please ensure that the subject line reads: “Implementation Coordinator” REF NO. Wash B-2014-02-02.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Implementation Coordinator.
The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities.
Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.
Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.
Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization.
Please direct questions to [email protected]