IPA Data Management Coordinator Job in Western Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Feb 13, 2014
Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) Benefits Project
Position: Data Management Coordinator
Deadline to Apply: Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis, final deadline February 28, 2014
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Location: Western Kenya
Eligibility: This position is open to all applicants
Currently in the midst of a five-year study, WASH Benefits is collecting rigorous evidence on the health impacts of improved water, sanitation and hygiene practices, alongside improved nutrition in rural Kenya.
Low-cost technologies and behavior change communications strategies are being implemented to promote drinking water treatment, good sanitation practices, handwashing with soap and improved nutrition.
The position offers an opportunity to gain on-the-ground data management experience as part of a high-profile water, sanitation, hygiene, and child health impact evaluation project.
This position is located in Western Kenya, and the principal investigators (PIs) are Clair Null and Michael Kremer.
The Data Management Coordinator will work closely with senior project management and staff to support and supervise a variety of tasks across two offices (Kakamega and Bungoma) including, but not limited to:
- Develop and supervise implementation of systems to manage data related to evaluation, laboratory, and implementation aspects of the project (both hardware and software), including: supporting the development and modification of standard operating procedures (SOPs), process documentation and tracking systems
- Keep senior management, research manager and PIs appraised of all key developments related to data management and quality
- Supervise two Data Management Project Associates and the Programming Project Manager
- Assist with improving and modifing electronic data collection instruments
- Compile periodic reports on the progress of data collection activities study wide
- Supervise hiring and training of data-entry clerks in both offices and manage the prioritization and allocation of data-entry tasks
- Support evaluation, laboratory, and implementation aspects of the project with form development and template design, and ensure compliance with variable-naming and data-formatting standards
- Develop procedures for data management and quality assurance including: daily data downloads, data encryption and back-up, weekly processing/compiling/cleaning of raw data, transfer of data between project activities, storage and protection of hard-copy data, staff productivity, and survey back-checks
- Design guidelines for compiling and reporting results and recommendations of staff productivity to field staff and HR
- Support the Research Manager in coordinating data tracking systems for human subjects and data safety monitoring compliance
- Support the design and implementation of a relational database
- Provide projections and basic oversight of financial accounting related to data management activities
- Provide mentorship to all staff involved in data collection activities (across all aspects of the study), including contributing to trainings; closely coordinate with other project coordinators and staff across offices
- Support the Research Manager in HR oversight process and provide recommendations to management on all aspects of HR for the data management team
The WASH Benefits project will be spread over a relatively large geographic area, so willingness to travel and ability to manage across project sites is essential. The Coordinator will be based in Kakamega.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Excellent Stata programming skills
- Advanced proficiency with Excel
- Experience with CSPro
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a quantitative social science, engineering or related field
- Minimum of two years of experience in quantitative/qualitative research methods and data management, preferably with large (many observations and many variables) and/or complex datasets (many inter-related variables)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and complete fluency in English
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, enjoys working with data
- Excellent management, critical thinking and interpersonal skills
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Proficiency in other computer programming languages (SQL, Blaise, Java, etc.)
- Experience with relational databases
- GIS data management and analysis skills
- Experience working on WASH and/or nutrition issues in developing countries (particularly sub-Saharan Africa)
- Swahili language skills
- Knowledge of statistics
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials
We are looking for a commitment period of 1 year for this position with the possibility to extend.
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Applications must be submitted by email to [email protected] . Please ensure that the subject line reads: “Data Management Coordinator” REF NO. Wash B-2014-02-03. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview. Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Data Management Coordinator. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities.
Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.
Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.
Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization.
Please direct questions to [email protected]