IOM Transit Centre Operations Consultant Job in Nairobi Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Jan 28, 2014
I. Position Information
Notice No: IOMKE/CFA/004/2014
Position Title: Transit Centre Operations Consultant
Position Grade: UG
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Seniority Band: Band IV
Job Family: Core Migration
Organizational Unit: Operations
Position Number: n/a
Position Rated: No
Subject to Rotation: No
Reporting Directly to: Operations Officer – Transit Centre / Identity Authentication Officer (IAO)
Managerial responsibility: None
Directly reporting staff: None
II. Organizational Context and Scope
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Operations in Nairobi, and under the direct supervision of the Identification Authentication Officer, and in close coordination with the relevant units in the MRF including MHD, Admin and Finance, the incumbent will be responsible for the registration of new TC guests/residents, inspection of luggage and transport, boarding of refugees from Transit Centre to Airport and attends to the accommodation needs of the refugees.
The incumbent will perform the following duties and responsibilities:-
1. Have a good understanding of the IOM Transit Center Standard Operating Procedures.
2. Prepare for beneficiary arrivals to the Transit Center by reviewing Advanced Booking Notifications (ABN) and correspondence from Operations and Medical colleagues.
3. Welcome and orientate beneficiary arrivals to the Transit Center, prepare and complete accommodation forms and identify any special needs of the beneficiary.
4. Update the Transit Center database to reflect refugee arrivals, needs, activities and departures.
5. Search beneficiary luggage to ensure that only sanctioned items are carried by IOM passengers on domestic and international flights.
6. Assist in the tagging, weighing and loading of beneficiary luggage.
7. Work closely with IOM JKIA Airport staff to ensure that all movements take place smoothly, punctually and without incident.
8. Advise the Transit Center Control Center on the needs of the residents and general issues related to the day to day operation of the Transit Centre (TC).
9. Liaise with the pre-departure nurse on Pre-Departure Medical Screening and Fit To Travel medical checks for all departing beneficiaries.
10. Assume the following responsibilities when working overnight at the Transit Center
- Ensure that utilities are functioning (water, electricity, security) and report any lapse in service to the Transit Center Accommodation Assistant.
- Respond to emergencies
- Mediate conflicts between residents
- Assume overall responsibility of the Transit Center, residents and subcontractors
- Creation and dissemination of the night report
11. Suggest improvements to TC operational systems and processes.
12. Compliance to IOM policies, rules and regulations and refers non-compliance of others to respective supervisors for action.
13. Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners
V. Education and Experience
- Completed High School certificate with Higher Diploma in Social Sciences or related field.
- Minimum four years’ work experience in camp/accommodation coordination, logistics and transport.
- At least 2 years’ working experience assisting refugees.
- Demonstrated accuracy in handling and reporting data.
- Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Office (Excel, Access) and experience in working with online applications.
- Mature individual, with flexibility and able to work on overtime, when requested.
- Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations is an advantage.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Kiswahili.
- Knowledge of Somali is an advantage.
Mode of Application:
Submit cover letter and CV including daytime telephone and e-mail address to:-
International Organization for Migration (IOM),
Human Resources Department,
P.O. Box 55040 – 00200,
P.O. Box 55040 – 00200,
or send via e-mail to [email protected]
Closing Date: 3rd February 2014
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted