International Rescue Committee Construction Technician Job in Garowe, Somalia
Summary of Responsibilities: The IRC Somalia currently seeks a construction technician for its Governance and Peace Building Program, based in Garrowe (Puntland) with travel within the program implementation areas in Burtinle and Nairobi as necessary.
- Support the community in all phase of the construction project Assist the community with the tendering process and the choice of contractors and the planning for materials and supports needed;
- Assist the community to elaborate the terms of reference for the recruitment of contractors for the implementation of the projects.
- Support the community in completing and signing the agreement with contractors for project implementation or service delivery
- Ensure a permanent support to the community during the execution of the sub-project;
- Ensure community involvement at all phases of the project and the development of the community ownership of the project;
- Guarantee the respect of construction standards as well as the security practices at the project site;
- Supervise and be responsible for all technical aspect of project implementation.
- Make sure that the contractor complete the work in a timely, efficient and accurate manner with respect to standard engineering practices;
- With the help of the program manager and the contractor, develop and maintain monthly and weekly plans and written records of engineering work undertaken in the project including site visits and reporting of work progress;
- Provide feedback to the monitoring and evaluation system in order to assess the effectiveness and impact of the projects and propose recommendations for improvement;
- Contribute to find constructive solutions to issues and challenges identified by the community and contractors;
- Facilitate and maintain a good and professional relationship between IRC, communities, and contractors ;
- Provide regular written and verbal reports to the program manager and Governance and Rights coordinator on the infrastructure development activities;
- Participate to the field office meeting to update on the progress of the construction/rehabilitation
- A degree in civil/construction engineering;
- Minimum 3 years working experience in engineering project implementation and supervision in the area of WASH, civil engineering, road and bridges, etc.
- Experience with community driven reconstruction/development is an advantage;
- Capacity and willingness to assist and build the capacity of the community;
- Knowledge and experience in use of Auto CAD;
- Proven knowledge in the interpretation of construction engineering drawings and designs;
- Understand construction standards of Somalia in general and especially in Puntland as stipulated by the Ministry of Public Work and Housing
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with others in a team environment;
- Be able to work under pressure and in difficult conditions;
- Physically able to spend the long periods of time in the field
- Spoken and written English and Somali proficiency is essential.
- Friendly, approachable and flexible
Deadline for all applications: 19th February 2014