International NGO Kenya – NGO Head of Programs
Category: International Jobs in Kenya, International Jobs Kenya, NGO Jobs in Kenya, Non Profit Organisation Jobs
Posted: Aug 21, 2013
NGO Head of Programs Job in Kenya
Our client, an International NGO with major operations in Rift Valley, Nyanza and Eastern; and its local Head Office based in Nairobi seeks to recruit for the position of Head of Programs.
Post: Head of Programmes
Reporting To: Country Director
Duration of Contract: 2 Years (includes six-month probation and is renewable depending on performance).
The position is responsible for providing overall leadership in design and effective implementation of programs.
S/he ensures effective and efficient Program development, implementation, and management (including operations and administration).
The incumbent will work in close collaboration with Senior Management Team to articulate both organizational and program policy & guidelines and influencing the roll-out of the same.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Programme Management and Supervision
- Participate as a member of the Senior Management Team in effective management of the organization.
- Provide leadership in overall planning and management of programme initiatives and support the development and implementation of the organization’s strategic and business plans.
- Prepare and oversee the production of strategy documents and policy papers.
- Facilitate the development of annual operation plans, management plans, work and activity plans for programs
- Coordinate and manage the development, implementation, monitoring and control of budgets for programs and ensure prudent financial management and effective use of resources allocated for use in implementation of program activities.
- Take a lead in processes to design and develop new projects, ensuring this builds on experience and shared learning.
- Develop winning concepts/proposals.
- Spearhead fund-raising/resource mobilization initiatives for the organization.
- Critically review project concepts and proposals and work in conjunction with overseas programme support staff to ensure timely and well written proposals are submitted to donors.
- Ensure timely submission of project reports.
- Motivate, line-manage, and nurture a strong program team.
- Effectively manage program consultancy assignments to ensure value for money.
- Represent the organization in relevant forums and to relevant authorities including local administration, county leaders, donors and others as necessary both locally and nationally.
- Work with the Country Director to identify and develop relationships with new donors in the country in coordination with the HQ.
- Negotiate timely renewal of all project contracts and partnership agreements.
Partnership and Institutional Support
- Establish and develop effective working relations with implementing partners.
- Undertake/support and oversee organizational needs assessments of partners and coordinate relevant training/support in order to build their capacity to respond to the development needs of their communities.
- Rigorously monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s support to its local partners and the impact it has on poverty reduction.
- Facilitate consultations with local partners and stakeholders to solicit their input into programme development.
- Ensure positive working relationships with partners, collaborators, government, other stakeholders and peer organizations.
Learning, Dissemination and Advocacy
- Support and consolidate participatory action research from across the programme and liaise with universities and research institutes as is appropriate.
- Facilitate learning within the country programme, promote peer learning between staff and partners, participate in relevant national networks and actively engage in organizational level focus groups.
- Improve monitoring and evaluation systems across the country programme in line with the organization’s guidelines for community-led evaluations and quantitative data collection.
- Co-ordinate both external and internal reviews and evaluations.
- Play an active role in advocacy activities at local and national level and contribute to organization’s engagement in policy debate.
- Contribute to dissemination of good practice and lessons from the organization’s work in the country.
- Deputize the Country Director as and when assigned.
- Undertake any other duties as assigned by the Country Director.
Required Skills and Competencies
We are looking for a mature, dynamic and diplomatic individual who is self-starter, an excellent communicator and team builder.
The individual should have proven ability to manage and motivate staff.
S/he must have an established track record in project management and is capable of facilitating effective partnerships.
Attitude and proven experience will count a lot in selecting the right candidate for the position in addition to the basic minimum qualifications.
Academic: Masters in Arts or Science in any of the following disciplines: Development, Agricultural Economics, Rural development, Community Development, Social Sciences or any other relevant fields
Relevant Work Experience: A minimum of 5 years experience in project management at a senior level in a similar environment.
- Knowledge of operations of the NGO sector in the country.
- Practical experience of livelihoods and rights based approaches to development
- Experience in facilitation of learning process, networking and knowledge management.
- Knowledge of current challenges facing livelihoods.
- The individual should possess excellent proposal writing skills with proven ability to secure substantial donor funding.
- The individual must show ability to build and maintain profitable networks within the sector.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Excellent, verbal, analytical, organizational and written skills in English.
- Excellent proposal writing and report writing skills with proven ability to secure substantial donor funding
- Commitment to international and humanitarian NGO codes, standards and practices.
- Knowledge of operations of the NGO sector in the country.
- Knowledge of dynamics of partnership and experience in role directly involved in partner/local institution organizational capacity development programmes i.e. with experience in using organizational assessment tools and facilitating organization development processes.
- Expertise in food security and/or rural enterprise development, value chains, credit, cooperative/ farmer association development, etc
- Experience in research and skills to adapt and develop appropriate monitoring tools for and its partners.
- An understanding of how to engage in advocacy and use of evidence to influence policy debate in Kenya.
- Ability to speak one or more of the main languages.
- Country Director and Local Program staff
- Civil society organizations including National and international NGOs
- Government ministries and local government staff
- Programme support teams and director of programmes, and Director of Policy and strategy at Headquarters.
- Finance teams in country and Headquarters.
- Carry out the above accountabilities within the operating and process frameworks that apply to the whole Organization.
- Work together with all the key stakeholders: line and functional to ensure organizational objectives, mission and vision are met.
- Exemplify the organization’s standards of Integrity, Purpose and Values.
Application letter indicating a brief statement why you qualify for the job should be accompanied with a detailed CV and names of at least three (3) professional referees, daytime telephone contact, and current and expected remuneration (gross salary and cash benefits) to reach the address below before the close of business on Friday 30th August 2013. (Please do not attach scanned certificates, academic documents and testimonials at this point).
Strategic Dimensions Limited
Management and Development Consultants
E-mail: [email protected]
Only short listed candidates will be contacted