International Medical Corps Job in Isiolo Kenya
International Medical Corps WASH Officer (Hygiene Promotion) Job in Isiolo Kenya
As part of our comprehensive approach to health, International Medical Corps prioritizes access to
equitable, reliable and clean water, the provision and improvement of sanitation facilities and the
promotion of appropriate hygiene practices.
- Identify and assess the key hygiene and sanitation practices to be addressed and develop appropriate communications strategy to promote safe practices. She/he will ensure that an empowering approach to working with communities is employed and all activities are carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and promotes the full and equal participation of women, men, children and youth.
- Ensure that the programme is implemented in a consistent, coherent, cohesive consultative, participatory, culture and gender-sensitive manner, in collaboration with other Health staff, other affiliates, other NGOs, local partners and community members.
- Design and manage assessments and studies in order to identify hygiene and sanitation practices and WASH-related health risks and priorities in target communities, in health centers, schools, IMAM and CMAM centers
- Provide technical support and expertise for performing public health assessments including, but not limited to, working with communities, and surveys, working on information, education and communications campaigns and training.
- Recruit and train local hygiene promoters on community demand driven approaches and supervise their activities
- Support Ministry of public health and sanitation to roll out the community led total sanitation (CLTS) in the villages within the project areas.
- Implement hygiene promotion activities appropriate to the context in close collaboration with the WASH Coordinator, the nutrition/health project teams, and the Field Manager to ensure that technical and social aspects of water and sanitation programming are integrated within the health activities.
- Provide regular reports on hygiene issues and program progress against work plans and program activities including donor reports according to the donor requirements
- Liaise directly with communities, local institutions and local authorities on hygiene and sanitation issues as well as other agencies operational in Isiolo (particularly those carrying out similar activities) regularly to ensure coordination and effective implementation of activities
- On the advice of the WASH Coordinator represent International Medical Corps in all Hygiene promotion forums in the project areas and attend sub national coordination mechanism such WESCOORD and other stake holders meetings.
- Support and develop the capacity of partner(s) such as ministry of public health and sanitation (MOPHS)
- Participate/contribute and assist the WASH coordinator in developing of WASH concepts, and proposals.
- Carry out any other tasks as may be assigned by the line manager from time to time.
- Coordinate with and support DWO/DPHO for rehabilitation/Repairs to WASH infrastructure
- Support DWO/DPHOs to plan and monitor distribution of WASH, IEC materials.
- Support DPHO/CHWs to Plan and monitor outreach activities
- Degree in Public Health, Environmental Health, or related Social Sciences with a bias in hygiene and sanitation or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Or Diploma in Public Health, Environmental Health holders with extensive hygiene and sanitation training experience will also be considered.
- Strong back ground in and conversancy of Public health needs in project areas with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in public health in Arid and Semi-arid areas.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience and working with pastoralist communities in the ASAL in Kenya. Previous work experience in ASAL region and it’s environ will be an added advantage.
- Past experience working with EU, USAID and UN grants, SPHERE standards and working in a consortium will be an added advantage.
- Excellent teamwork skills and the ability to build good relations both internally and externally
- Excellent computer skills in MS office and survey software
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with a team
- Knowledge of the local language an added advantage
- Ability to travel and work in difficult conditions and under pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts
- High level of self-awareness and good communication skills
- Astute budgeting, financial management and reporting