Position: Data Manager
Deadline to Apply: January 24th, 2013
Start Date: January 30th, 2013
Location: Kisumu Town
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit research organization that creates and evaluates approaches to solving development problems.
IPA disseminates the results of its evaluations to policymakers, practitioners, investors and donors around the world.
About the project: The project will study various barriers to savings for particularly vulnerable women—sex workers, widowed and separated women.
We will look at the various effects of the provision of highly liquid mobile money savings accounts.
The project will also assess the use and effectiveness of other strategies that deal with emergency expenses and investment goals. Detailed data will be collected weekly from a sample of 650 women in Kisumu town and in Kadibo division.
Position overview: The MPESA data manager will play a central role in the study’s success and will gain valuable experience in data collection, data management, and implementation of programs.
The data manager will create and manage key databases, manage data entry and also produce various calculations that are essential to the implementation of the project’s savings accounts.
The data manager will work closely with the field coordinator and assistant project manager to improve their own skills and those of their colleagues.
The position is based in Kisumu town.
The data manager will be expected to work Monday through Friday, as well as most Saturdays.
Tasks, Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Arrive to work promptly and reliably, always setting an example for one’s colleagues.
- Collaborate with teammates to improve own skills and those of teammates.
- Organize and properly store all forms related to MPESA data being collected
- Create and regularly manage a database relating to the status of MPESA data sources for each of the respondents in the study
- Liaise with partners who will provide data sources
- Periodically hire and manage data entry personnel
- Generate calculations for reimbursements to respondents for every 4-week period
- Processing and ensuring timely reimbursement of respondents through automated MPESA transfers
- Manage an SMS system where respondents are regularly sent various pieces of relevant information through text messages, such as information on payments to be received.
The data manager will initially be trained on these tasks, but is expected to work mostly independently thereafter.
The data manager is also expected to provide assistance as needed to the field coordinator and assistant project manager on tasks related to the implementation of the broader data collection efforts.
- Has good computer skills, with very strong background in excel
- Supervisory and management experience related to data collection and management
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- History of providing feedback to teammates and examples of this feedback improving teammates’ work
- Willingness to work on Saturdays
- Bachelors’ degree or college diploma/certificate
- Experience supervising data management activities
- Fluent in Luo
Remuneration: This position will pay 25,000-30,000 KSH per month depending on relevant experience and skills. We expect to have this person on for a 3-6 month contract, conditional on satisfactory performance.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address. Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications can be submitted to any of our branch offices,
or by post office using P.O Box 373, Busia area code 50400 Kenya.
If you submit by email, please ensure that the subject line reads: “Data Manager” REF NO. iSAVE-2014-01-01.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the MPESA data manager. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to [email protected]