Job Title: Bookkeeper
Ref No: IPAK_2014-01-002
Application deadline: 17th January 2014
Start Date: 1st February 2014
Location: Kisumu and Busia (2 positions)
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA), is a rapidly growing global organization.
We operate in almost 40 countries across the globe. We design innovative, cutting-edge approaches to solving development problems, rigorously evaluate these programs and promote the adoption of those with proven impact.
IPA-Kenya (IPAK) is IPA’s oldest country office, and the site of many of its most influential research projects.
IPAK employs more than 400 contracted staff working on 20 different projects across offices in various locations around Kenya, including five administrative offices in Kisumu, Nairobi, Busia, Kakamega and Bungoma.
The Bookkeeper’s role is to perform general accounting duties for IPAK and he/she reports to the Director of Finance, Administration and Restructuring or his designee.
This position will be based in IPAK Kisumu and Busia offices respectively; however it will include field travel to regions/counties where program activities are carried out to provide projects financial support whenever necessary.
Therefore, willingness to travel periodically as needed is required. A one-year commitment is necessary.
The Bookkeeper will be responsible for:
Under the general guidance of the Accountants, assist in the following tasks:
- Verifying all payment vouchers for accuracy and completeness before processing/entry into the accounting system-Sage.
- Ensure accurate petty cash disbursement, monitoring and allocations.
- Ensure proper documentation of all payments to staff and vendors
- Ensure compliance with donor and organizational policies/guidelines on all payments.
- Handle cash, cheque and airtime disbursements
- Receive and check imprest requests and returns, ensuring that proper documentation is filed for each transaction, relevant approvals have been obtained, etc.
- Conduct cash counts on regular basis, including after withdrawals
- Prepare cheques to be signed by appropriate managers
- Maintain fixed assets register and ensure that assets inventory records are updated regularly
- Other duties as assigned
Critical Abilities and Skills:
- Attention to detail, and be able to perform multiple tasks, often under stressful work-situations/deadlines.
- Seasoned team player.
- Ability to undertake domestic travel on short notice
- Commitment to IPAK values, vision, mission and strategic plan.
- Computer literacy (including Word, Excel, Email and use of the internet) a must
- Be a person of known integrity.
- Detail oriented
- Result oriented
- Team player/leader
- Professional Accounting qualification; ATC Finalist/CPA I/ACCA I
- Diploma in Finance/Accounting, Administration or relevant field.
- At least 1 years of experience performing responsibilities required for the position and demonstrating progress in the role.
- Excellent command of accounting principles
- Process thinker with excellent analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (English and Kiswahili)
- Well-developed skills in MS-Excel, MS-Word, MS-Outlook
- Ability to work under pressure and under minimum supervision
- Should be able to travel to the field
- Ability to meet strict deadlines
- Integrity, flexibility and self-discipline
If you are interested, please follow the instructions below:
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Applications can be submitted to any of our branch offices,
by post office using P.O Box 373, Busia, Area Code 50400, Kenya.
If you submit by email, please ensure that the subject line reads: “Bookkeeper- Kisumu/Busia, REF NO: IPAK_ 2014/01/002.
All applicants will be considered for this position.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Bookkeeper –Kisumu /Busia.The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization.Please direct questions to [email protected]