ILRI Job Nairoi Kenya
ILRI Technical Assistant Job in Nairoi, Kenya
Vacancy Number: TA/BECA/06/2013
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to enhance the roles livestock play in pathways out of poverty in developing countries. ILRI has two main campuses in East Africa and other hubs in East, West and southern Africa and South, Southeast and East Asia.
ILRI is a member of CGIAR, a global agricultural research partnership working for a food-secure future. Its science is carried out by 15 research centres that are members of the CGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations.
ILRI also manages the Biosciences eastern and central Africa (BecA) Hub, the centre for excellence in modern plant and animal biology in Africa.
BecA is an initiative developed within the framework of the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD)/ African Union African Biosciences initiative.
It consists of a Hub based on the ILRI campus in Nairobi, Kenya and a network of regional nodes and other affiliated laboratories and organizations throughout the region.
The BecA Hub facilities are world class, including a range of molecular, plant transformation, and genomics laboratories and equipment (e.g. 454 sequencing, Biosafety level 3 laboratory, plant growth facilities).
The Hub hosts and conducts research in crop, microbe and livestock areas where new developments in science offer promise to address previously intractable problems constraining Africa’s development. Capacity building is a major goal of all activities.
ILRI seeks to recruit a dynamic and competent Technical Assistant to provide quality and efficient services to all the BecA-ILRI hub laboratory users.
- Reconstitute Tissue culture media, Microbiological Plates, Buffers and specialised reagents used by all laboratories ;
- Replenishment of cold room with the required products from central core department used by all laboratories ;
- Assemble simple and complex filtration equipment’s used in the production of sterile Media, buffers and other specialised reagents used in all laboratories;
- Be able to operate simple and complex machines like Washing machines, Autoclaves, ovens, Masterflex pumps used for dispensing Media, pH meter, Osmometer and incubators used for Quality control purposes;
- Clean and maintain all laboratories dusting benches windows and machines as required, respecting Good Laboratory Practices and the Procedures in place;
- Prepare, Autoclave, clean glassware and consumables used in laboratories;
- Manage biological wastes from the laboratories;
- Management of stock consumables and glassware within the unit;
- Perform any other tasks related to the work done within the unit.
- Diploma in laboratory Technology with at least one year relevant experience;
- Proven Experience in lab techniques;
- Good ability to co-ordinate, prioritize, and organize work;
- Effective planning and multi-tasking skills;
- Media Preparation Skills;
- Computer literacy skills.
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. The position is on a 2 year contract with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Job level and salary
This position is job Grade 1C, with an attractive salary and benefits package.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV combined as one document explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.
The position title and reference number REF: TA/BECA/06/2013 should be clearly marked on the cover letter.