ICRISAT Research Assistant Job in Nairobi Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Mar 17, 2014
Vacancy: Research Assistant – ICRISAT
About our organization: ICRISAT is a non-profit, apolitical, international organization for science-based agricultural research for development. Established in 1972, it is one of the 15 Centres of the Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), and supported by more than 48 governments, foundations, and development banks.
ICRISAT with its Headquarters located in India has regional centres and research teams in Asia and Sub- Saharan Africa. In the Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA), ICRISAT has country programs in Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique and Ethiopia.
ICRISAT Regional Office for ESA is located in Nairobi, Kenya and is currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill the locally recruited position of a Research Assistant.
About the position: To support and direct laboratory activities to ensure successful completion of research projects/programs in compliance with set standards and to optimally utilize all laboratory resources in a cost effective manner.
Primary duties and responsibilities
- Devise and conduct experiments;
- Process and analyze results and data;
- Communicate results to the responsible scientists through written reports;
- Collaborate with industry/academia to apply the results of research and develop new techniques, products or practices;
- Present ongoing work and findings to colleagues within ICRISAT as well as in academic conferences, summarizing the nature of their research, their methodology and their findings;
- Carry out the necessary field work to inform their research;
- Teach and demonstrate relevant procedures to students and other trainees attached to the laboratory including other members of staff;
- Devise or help to draw up new research ideas;
- Work in multidisciplinary teams across different local universities and research institutions;
- Organize and plan for the acquisition and proper maintenance of laboratory supplies, consumables and equipment;
- Ensure proper and responsible utilization of laboratory supplies and equipment by the laboratory team.
- A Master’s degree in Biotechnology, Molecular Biology or Genetics;
- Experience working in a genomics laboratory including design and implementation of genomics experiments;
- Knowledge of molecular markers, genome mapping, genotyping using automated systems as well as analysis of molecular data;
- Very strong analytical skills and applied statistical genetics experience.
Terms of offer
We offer a collegial, diverse and gender-sensitive working environment, and we strongly encourage applications from qualified women.
This position is remunerated on Local terms.
The appointment will be for an initial period of three (3) years, subject to a six (6) months’ probation period.
This position will be based in Nairobi.
How to apply
Applications will be considered until 28th March 2014.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about ICRISAT and World Agroforestry Centre by accessing our web sites www.icrisat.org and www.worldagroforestry.org